Chief Academic Officer
7 days left
- Full Time
Chief Academic Officer
Office of the President
Exempt, Regular, Full-time
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is pleased to announce our search for a Chief Academic Officer (CAO). We seek a talented, collaborative executive to lead the operations of our unique and innovative academic enterprise. The CAO, also holding the title of senior vice president, will be a strategic thinker who inspires faculty and staff to achieve an academic vision in alignment with the University's current and future strategic plans. In partnership with the President, and fellow Executive Committee members, the CAO contributes to overall organizational leadership.
A pioneer in distance education, UMUC has leveraged learning science and technology to educate students since 1947. We currently deliver both online and classroom instruction in Maryland, across the country, and on U.S. military installations in more than 20 countries. One of 12 degree-granting institutions of the University System of Maryland (USM), we are governed by the USM Board of Regents and are regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Now celebrating our 70th anniversary, UMUC offers open access with a global footprint and a specific mission - to meet the learning needs of adult students whose responsibilities often include jobs, families, and military service. We offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs as well as support services to more than 85,000 civilian and military students in Maryland and worldwide.
The CAO reports directly to the University President, and is a member of the Executive Committee. The primary accountability of the CAO is to lead the operations of the academic enterprise. This includes bringing innovative initiatives to fruition and scale as well as excellence in the hiring, development, and promotion of academic staff and leadership. Currently reporting directly to the CAO are three Vice Provosts (The Undergraduate School Dean, The Graduate School Dean, and Learning Design & Experience), one Executive Director (Outreach & Innovation), and three Associate Vice Provosts (Accreditation, Compliance & Reporting; Strategic Initiatives & Planning; and the Registrar).
The CAO's accountabilities include:
- Executes current plans with a vision towards future academic strategic plans in alignment with the University's strategic plan;
- Works as part of a team that includes the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and the Chief Enrollment and Marketing Officer (CEMO);
- Embraces the first core value of “students first” as well as who we are and who we serve: the non-traditional, working adult student, many of whom are proud members of the military;
- Places student success at the center of our academic enterprise;
- Works effectively with the Information Technology organization to support the academic enterprise for delivery of instruction and administrative support;
- Operationalizes the existing and future academic vision and shows that a commitment to the continuous improvement of academic quality is paramount in a rapidly changing world;
- Leads based on a long-term vision that continues to position UMUC as a leader in teaching and learning innovation;
- Balances both academic and business needs while leading in a highly ethical manner and continuously improving lines of communication;
- Listens for and acts upon employment market demands and drives the innovation of sought-after degree programs valued by students and employers alike;
- Promotes and supports our shared governance bodies;
- Makes evident a commitment to diversity by promoting an inclusive and supportive environment for faculty, staff, and students;
- Manages the academic organizational structure - continues to define and articulate the roles and responsibilities of academic leadership;
- Partners with the Overseas Divisions to address the unique needs of military education and to ensure a consistent approach to academic program delivery and policies;
- Upholds academic standards set by national, regional, and professional accrediting bodies, as well as UMUC and the USM;
- Develops and sustains positive and productive relationships within the department, cross-functionally, as well as with relevant external constituencies;
- Determines budgetary priorities, in consultation with the President and the Executive Committee, and administers an approved annual budget for the academic organization;
- Other job-related duties as assigned by the President.
Required education and experience: An earned Ph.D., Ed.D., or other appropriate terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning and at least ten (10) years as a senior level academic administrator; successful experience with strategic academic planning and the overall operational and financial management of a complex academic enterprise; as well as the integrity and gravitas to represent the University around the globe with grace and authenticity.
Preferred experience: An academic executive who leads with courage; proven track record of strategic thinking and bringing a strategic plan to fruition as well as academic innovations to scale in a global environment; track record of successfully developing academic leaders; ability to effectively articulate the University's priorities to faculty, governance, and other key stakeholders as appropriate; strong interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, self-awareness, and problem-solving skills; dedication to faculty excellence and academic rigor particularly in a technology-mediated environment; comfortable with a structured and highly centralized curriculum model; understanding of current higher education issues, trends, and the necessity for fresh, continuous, next-level thinking in a data-driven way; experience with academic compliance, assessment, and policy development; experience successfully implementing strategic applications of technology in higher education; experience with teaching non-traditional students and experiential learning; as well as experience leveraging data to both drive and support decision making.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.