Medical Support Assistant (Office Automation)
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This position is located at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Directorate of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Pediatrics Subspecialty, in Bethesda, Maryland. Work is generally performed in an office-type of setting (at a computer) at a nurse's station or in a clinic reception area. There may be occasional walking to various locations within the clinic or medical facility, and the position may require standing for prolonged periods of time. Use of the telephone and computer is frequent.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position requires the incumbent to have an annual seasonal influenza vaccination unless otherwise exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Specialized Experience Requirement: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: maintaining and monitoring patient appointment schedules; using automated healthcare systems such as Composite Health Care System (CHCS), Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA), or Essentris; receiving patients and visitors as the initial point of contact (in person or telephonically); and answering basic medical/healthcare administrative-related questions. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service, GS-04.
Education Substitution: Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience above in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
1) Qualifying based on education alone: Education may be substituted for specialized experience with 4 years (120 semester hours) of education above high school.
2) Qualifying based on a combination of education and specialized experience: A combination of education and specialized experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of undergraduate education in excess of 2 years (60 semester hours) by 60. Add the 2 percentages. Note: For the purpose of qualifications, 1 full year of undergraduate education is equivalent to 30 semester hours.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Health Care Data Entry and Management
- Oral Communication
- Patient-focused Customer Service
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Advertised salary range includes applicable locality pay.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.