Information Technology Specialist (Systems Administration)(Recent Graduate)
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
The position will perform duties characteristic of the specific occupational series, performing a variety of developmental duties in support of the overall work of the organization. Assignments are selected to broaden skills and provide practical experience, for progressively more complex assignments.
Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Recent Graduates Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation. After Program completion, Department of the Army Recent Graduates MAY be converted to a permanent position or to a term position (a project-based term of employment lasting between one and four years).
This position is being filled at the GS-07 level with potential conversion to a position with a full performance level at GS-11.
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
- Successfully complete all the requirements of the Recent Graduate Program as defined in the Agency Participant Agreement.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
Who May Apply:
Positions are open to:
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Short-term training programs (e.g. several two-week programs completed) are not considered an academic course of study.
- Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 34 position.
- Recent Graduates must sign a Participant Agreement with the Agency.
- A mobility agreement is required for this position.
- Secret Security Clearance is required for this position.
- Salary includes local market supplement.
Undergraduate/Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Experience for ALL Grade Levels:
Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate. Individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Specialized Experience Required for the GS-07 grade level:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade/level (GS-05). Specialized experience is defined as: operations of Windows systems, analyzing system issues and providing solutions to resolve technical issues.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify.
Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for the GS-07:
Successful completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with Superior Academic Achievement. To qualify based on S.A.A., education must be fully qualifying for the position being filled. Applicant must meet one of the following provisions for superior academic achievement: 1) A standing in the upper third of your graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision. 2) A grade point average of "B" (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent for (a) all courses completed; or (b) courses completed during the last two years of the curriculum. 3) A grade point average of "B+" (3.5. on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent based on (a) the average of the required courses completed in the major field; or (b) the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum. 4) Election to membership in one of the national honorary societies (other than freshman societies) that meets the requirements of the Association of College of Honor Societies. Grade point averages will be rounded to one decimal point. For example, 2.95 will round to 3.0, and 2.94 will round to 2.9. NOTE: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) was taken on a pass/fail or similar basis, your S.A.A. claim must be based on class standing or membership in an honor society and you must provide evidence of your class standing or honor society membership with your application.
One academic year of graduate education in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Oral Communication
- Technical Competence
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Ideal Candidate, Strong and Eligible Candidate. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Ideal: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the definition of an ideal candidate as described above. Criteria include related major, grade point average, related coursework, participation is extra-curricular activities related to the position, and related academic, paid or volunteer experience.
- Strong: This category will be used for those candidates who meet many of the criteria described above for the ideal candidate.
- Eligible: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications of the position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. Read more Security clearance Secret