Accountant, GG-0510-07, Census-DE-CRD
This a time-limited position established to perform a variety of routine accounting work that requires the application of well-established accounting principles, theories, concepts and practices. The incumbent duties includes providing professional accounting services that typically involves the following: analyzing and reconciling a variety of accounts and transactions; formulating a variety of routine financial reports and implementing fiscal year-end closing procedures for specific funds; developing procedures to be used in the design or modification of automated accounting systems; providing advice to management of organizations serviced; assisting management in applying financial data and recommending alternatives to resolve difficult problems; adjusting differences between the general ledger and subsidiary accounts; analyzing financial and statistical data from domestic and/or foreign business firms.
This announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the date the first 50 applicants are received or on September 20, 2017, whichever comes first.
This vacancy is for an Accountant GG-0510-07, position in the Finance Division FIN located at the U.S.Census Bureau Headquarters in Suitland, Maryland. The Census Bureau is accessible from the Metro Rail Green Line-Suitland Station.
This vacancy is advertised under 2 different announcements. Some applicants may not be eligible to be hired under this announcement. Please make sure you apply to the announcement that entitles you to consideration. Read the `Who May Apply` section carefully to determine your eligibility. If you are not eligible under this announcement, please see FIN-2017-0044-ACCOUNTANT,GG-0510-07, CENSUS-DE-CRD which can be assessed at http://www.USAJOBS.gov
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to be filled other Acccountant GG-0510-07,FPL-12 positions within the Census Bureau in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and specialized experience.
Term Appointment: This is a Term Appointment, initial appointment is not to exceed NTE 2 years. This appointment may be extended 2 additional years at the management's discretion.
A trial period may be required ( for term appointments/excepted service appointments).
This position is ELIGIBLE for telework; additional criteria will be required (e.g. supervisory approval).
This is a BARGAINING unit position.
Relocation expenses may NOT be paid.
25% or less - Applicant will traveling to other remote work sites to conduct business.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.Minimum Education Requirement:
Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means, "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.").
Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
- A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Education: One full year of graduate education or superior academic achievement GPA of 3.0 or higher. You must submit a copy of your college transcripts. See the Required Documentation section for more information.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are "gold," "silver," and "bronze." Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates placed in the "gold" category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans' preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed.
Preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold).
The following competencies are desirable at the full performance level of this position (GS-12).
- Knowledge of Federal accounting regulations, procedures, polices, and precedents to carry out accounting functions.
- Knowledge of procedures used to enter, modify, retrieve, and delete information in an automated accounting system.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices, methods, techniques, and United States Standard General Ledger.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles of the United and or foreign countries to analyze financial data.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate in person and in writing with internal and external customers.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Applicable