The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
As an Examination Technician within Large Bank Supervision (LBS), you will perform technician work in support of bank examiners within large banks. You will perform specialized technical work such as, preparing data for automated financial systems, or supporting bank examiners by writing summaries of audits, financial reports, or recommending conclusions against definitive criteria.
Large Bank Supervision Duty Locations
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Washington, DC area
- One or more positions may be filled in any of the locations specified above.
- For specific information on geographic pay differentials, click here.
- Salary range does not include geographical pay.
Occasional travel - 1-5 Nights per Year of Travel
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation benefits will be paid in accordance with OCC's relocation policy. Free estate information on job locations is available by calling OCC's relocation management firm at 1-877-237-5068.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process. Please click on all the links provided in this vacancy announcement to view additional information and instructions.You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
For the NB-III:
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the NB-II pay band or GS-3 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of specialized experience for this position include:
Experience performing financial support functions such as locating and assembling financial information or data, maintaining files and records related to financial transactions or processes, and using financial software to maintain and compile information.
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: You must have four years of education above the high school level in any field obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, college or university.
You must have an equivalent combination of experience and education. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience.
For the NB-IV:
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the NB-III pay band or GS-5 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of specialized experience for this position include:
- Researching, assembling, and analyzing financial data to validate financial statements or reports; And
- Processing financial transactions, creating and maintaining financial spreadsheets/ accounts, and resolving account discrepancies;
One full year of graduate education meets the requirements where it is directly related to the work of the position. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement.
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
-The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
-To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
- Click here for important information about OCC ethics standards, such as the requirement that new hires divest their bank securities.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies
- If you are a current OCC employee who previously received a waiver determination permitting you to retain bank securities due to extenuating circumstances, please note that this determination may be rescinded if the nature of your duties changes. We strongly suggest that you discuss the potential implications of any change in duties on a prior securities determination with your ethics official.
- It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual’s employment experience will be used only to determine the person’s qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual’s personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Successfully complete a background investigation.
- File an OCC Financial Disclosure Form.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
NB-III: Technical Competence, Analytical Skills, Written Communication, Computer Skills
NB-IV: Technical Competence, Financial Transaction Processing, Researches Information, Written Communication, Computer Skills
Your application will be rated and ranked, based on your responses to the online questionnaire, your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position.
Category Rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three categories (Outstanding, Excellent, or Qualified) depending on your experience and education related to this position. Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority. "Well-qualified" means that you must be assigned to the Outstanding or Excellent category.
You may be required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring polices). We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
To preview questions please click here.