IT SPECIALIST (PLCYPLN)
To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
WHO MAY APPLY: Applications will be accepted from United States citizens(U.S. citizenship required at time of application).
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
For information on veterans preference click here.
MILITARY SPOUSE PREFERENCE: Click here for specific program requirements. To request MSP hiring preference, you must submit the following documents:
· Application or resume;· Statement requesting MSP; and
· Copy of military sponsor's PCS ordersLearn more about this agency
Occasional travel - The employee may be required to travel on commercial and military aircraft
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Yes PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal & Regulatory Guidance
- Incumbent must obtain and maintain TOP SECRET clearance
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Incumbent is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. The employee may be required to work overtime.
2. The employee may be required to travel on commercial and military aircraft.
3. Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
4. This position is designated as a Testing Designated Position (TDP) under the Air Force Civilian Drug Testing Program. Illegal drug use by employees in sensitive positions present a clear threat to the mission of the Air Force, national security, and public safety. It is required that you (a) refrain bum the use of illegal drugs and (b) if requested, submit to urinalysis testing.
5. Drug Test requirement was modified to comply with AFI 90-508 Air Force Civilian Drug Demand Reduction Program, 28 August 2014.
THIS POSITION HAS BOTH BASIC QUALIFICATION AND SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCES:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: Must have a bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate. For this position individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-13) or equivalent. Specialized experience must include mastery of, and skill in applying, interrelationships of multiple IT specialties, satellite communications, the agency's IT architecture, new IT developments and applications, emerging technologies and their applications to methods, and practices, procedures governing Joint and Air Force wide satellite communications and IT systems.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
Federal Time-In-Grade (TIG) Requirement for General Schedule (GS) Positions: Applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the GS-13 or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of the policies, practices, regulations and laws concerning satellite communications.
2. Knowledge of Air Force IT programs and activities, agency missions, satellite communications, communications, networking, CIO/IT goals and objectives.
3. Knowledge of concepts, functions, techniques, and capabilities sufficient to evaluate new and emerging IT and communications systems.
4. Ability to make critical, independent decisions, present and influence top management level decisions, and support and defend decisions to higher-level management.
5. Skill in written and oral communication in order to prepare and present briefings.
6. Effective writing and speaking skill to articulate pertinent program management issues in applications of IT acquisition for Air Force systems. Ability to develop and maintain effective, productive relationships with peers, associates, and senior leaders across the Air Force, DoD, Federal Agencies, and contractor personnel.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be BEST-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or above "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may not be used.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
BASIS OF RATING:
Your application will be rated under Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which your experience in your resume meets the KSAs required for the position and you will be rated as shown below. Additional points are not added for veteran's preference; however, preference is still applied.
Category 3, Best Qualified: Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements.
Category 2, Highly Qualified: Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements.
Category 1, Qualified: Candidates in this category meet the minimum education and/or experience requirements.Read more Security clearance