Director, Small Business Development Center
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Director, Small Business Development Center
The George Mason University Community Business Partnership (CBP), within the Mason Enterprise Center, invites applications for Director of the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Community Business Partnership is an independent not-for-profit organization that is part of George Mason Universitys Mason Enterprise Center under the Office of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. CBPs mission is to be a complete resource center providing training and support to those seeking to build successful small businesses. CBP delivers entrepreneurial skills training to over 4,000 clients per year and provides specialized support services, including one-on-one counseling services, networking events small business conferences, extensive referral network, small business incubator services, and access to capital.
Responsibilities: The SBDC Director will manage and direct the day-to-day operations of the SBDC Center, located at CBP, to a diverse client base and apply sound business management principles, practices and techniques. The Director shall provide assistance primarily for business expansions in the northern Virginia service region; oversee professional training class delivery; represent the CBP SBDC at regional professional events and associations; and work with the other directors and management of CBP to coordinate training and counseling services, and to raise additional funding as required to expand services and offerings to small business owners.
This is a grant-funded position contingent upon continued availability of grant funds. The SBDC at CBP is part of the Virginia SBDC Network, a partnership program of the U.S. Small Business Administration and the George Mason University Mason Enterprise Center, under the Office of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. The position reports to the President and CEO of CBP. Duties include:
- Provide assistance to small- and medium-sized businesses in areas such as business plans, marketing, management, finance, access to capital, planning, accounting, international management, technological assistance and government procurement;
- Perform business assessments for small businesses and entrepreneurs to determine strengths and weaknesses; and develop an improvement plan, which may include consulting, training, marketing, funding or a wide variety of business services;
- Provide guidance to clients to develop comprehensive business plans;
- Develop program proposals and budgets as well as implement programmatic activities;
- Identify sources of revenue for the SBDC, to include sponsorships and program (workshop/training) income;
- Manage and recruit professional volunteers to assist with counseling and training activities;
- Identify and submit grant applications;
- Provide in-depth guidance and advice to in-house business incubator clients on a continuing basis;
- Develop, plan, implement, and lead adult learning educational programs; as well as outreach assistance programs, to include business-related workshops;
- Develop, plan, and execute the annual Retail Week events--a week-long series of workshops and networking events held at various innovation and business partner locations in northern Virginia, designed to address the diverse interests and needs of the retail business community;
- Market the SBDC program on local and state levels;
- Network and leverage outside public and private sector resources and work with the area businesses and the professional community;
- Measure and evaluate the impact of program delivery and synthesize/analyze information in professional reports;
- Work in coordination with CBPs other programs to strengthen and promote the organization as a whole;
- Attend Virginia SBDC Network meetings and annual professional development conferences, and participate in network-wide initiatives; and
- Perform any ad hoc duties as may be required to ensure the success of the SBDC.
- Masters degree in accounting, business administration, management, and/or public policy;
- Extensive background in small business issues; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong team-building and interpersonal skills.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA49Cz at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :