We're seeking a creative front-end developer to join a talented team of software engineers. You should be a passionate problem solver who applies their technical experience to create compelling and useful digital experiences for our main websites. You will work with the UI/UX designer and bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application looks as well as how it works.
What you’ll do:
- Develop functional and appealing web- and mobile-based applications based on user-centric design and usability
- Create great User Interface working with business, UX, and technology teammates in a lean/scrum environment
- Combine design with the art of programming. Arrange and maintain an organized frontend development environment and processes
- Recommend new technologies and processes for complex software projects
- Evaluate new technologies and help to modernize our technical infrastructure
- Solid understanding of current internet technologies and frontend frameworks, such as jQuery, NPM, JSON, Node.js, VueJS, ReactJS or AngularJS.
- Experience with asynchronous request handling, partial page updates and AJAX.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Solid experience with frontend tools such as Gulp, Grunt, Brunch, Babel, Webpack, LESS or SASS.
- Development of responsive web development across multiple browsers and platforms.
- Good UI design experience and an eye for detail. Proficient in code versioning tools, preferably Git, GitHub, GitLab.
- Passionate commitment to designing great user experiences with strong visual skills in typography, iconography and use of color.
- Experience integrating 3rd party libraries.
- Good understanding of SEO principles and ensuring that application will adhere to them.
- Some experience with other programming languages such as PHP, and Python.
- Some experience with AWS services such as Lambda, Api gateway, DynamoDB, and ElasticSearch is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences.
We'd love to hear from you. Send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Front-end Developer" in the subject heading.
This is a full-time, regular position working from our Washington, DC office. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits including 5 weeks of vacation a year.
A journalism-driven multimedia company, The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to people on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world. Vitae is The Chronicle’s online career hub, which offers free career management tools, a powerful community, and the candid insights that academics need to build successful careers and fulfill their mission. The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.