Student Trainee (Nutrition)
This position is located in the Food and Nutrition Service, where the incumbent can be assigned in any of the following program areas: Child Nutrition Program, Food Distribution Program, Office of Food Safety, the Office of Supplemental Nutrition and Safety Program and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.Learn more about this agency
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
• Must be 16 years of age
• Must be in good academic standing as defined by the educational institution.
• Complete at least 640 hrs of work experience prior to completion of degree.
• Enrolled at least half-time at a qualifying educational institution.
• A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
All documents must be received and eligibility requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: To qualify for the GS-05 level: Completion of 4 academic years of post-high school leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
In addition; to qualify for the USDA Pathways Internship Program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see http://www.ed.gov/.
- Must show proof of enrollment for current semester.
- Must submit unofficial transcript(s). Official transcript(s) will be required if applicant is selected for a position.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- Travel may be required up to 25% of the time.
- This is a NON-BARGAINING designated position.
- If you are retired from the Federal Government and are selected for this vacancy, your retirement annuity may be offset from your pay.
- Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDAs TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds transfer.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- File a Confidential Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
- Successfully complete a background investigation
- Complete a Declaration of Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
- It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. See more information at: http://www.chcoc.gov/transmittals/TransmittalDetails.aspx?TransmittalID=6465
EEO Policy Statement: CLICK HERE
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement: CLICK HERE
Veterans Information: CLICK HERE
Legal and Regulatory Guidance: CLICK HERE Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- You will be evaluated based on your qualifications for this position as evidenced by the education, experience, and training you described in your application package, as well as the responses to the Occupational Questionnaire to determine the degree to which you possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies listed below:
- Knowledge in Nutrition
- Communication Skills (Oral & Written)
- Ability to plan & evaluate data
- We will review your application, including the on-line Occupational Questionnaire, to ensure you meet the job requirements and assess your ability to perform this job. Before any certificate can be issued to the selecting official, the resume and supporting documents are reviewed by an HR Specialist to ensure that (a) minimum qualification requirements are met and (b) the resume supports the answers provided to the job-specific questions. Your answers will be verified against information provided in your on-line resume and application. Be sure that your resume clearly supports your responses to all the questions addressing experience and education relevant to this position.
- Applicants who meet the basic minimum qualification requirements and are determined to be among the best qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for consideration. Non-Competitive candidates need to meet minimum qualification requirements to be referred.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.
To view the application form, visit: https://fns.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=37E2669F-701E-4A43-962D-A7D900FB7A98 Read more Security clearance Q - Nonsensitive