Supervisory Information Technology Specialist (CUSTSPT)
ATTENTION: Due to the large number of qualified applicants for positions of this type, this job announcement will close at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on either: (A) The closing date listed above or (B) The date that 100 applications are received; whichever occurs first. If the announcement closes on the date that 100 applications are received, all applications submitted by 11:59pm that day will be given consideration, including those in excess of 100.
We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible to ensure their applications are submitted before the announcement closes. We will not consider applications which are late due to the announcement closing once the above number of applications is reached.
This position is located in the Desktop Services Branch, Customer Support Services Division, Office of Information Technology Operations, Office of the Chief Information Officer, Smithsonian Institution. This position performs remedial maintenance on desktop software and hardware; receiving, configuring, and deploying desktop hardware; and moving desktop hardware. The incumbent of this position serves as the Manager, Desktop Services Branch and, as such, plans and directs the activities necessary to maintain the quality and adequacy of the Smithsonian's desktop and laptop hardware support.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system.
For this position Specialized experience is defined as experience serving as a senior IT Specialist providing desktop and laptop support in an organization with at least 500 customers. Experience also includes implementing new types of desktop technology; and developing desktop and laptop hardware and software baselines for the organization.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
In addition to meeting the Specialized Experience for all positions, individuals must have related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
- Attention to Detail: Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service: Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external business partners and customers (any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unity produces including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government). Provides information or assistance. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement. Effectively manages customer relationships.
- Oral Communication: Makes clear and convincing oral presentations to individuals and groups. Listens effectively; clarifies information, as needed. Speaks and writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner that is appropriate to the audience. Facilitates an open exchange of ideas to ensure all group input is considered. Handles technical, sensitive, or controversial topics with agility involving executives/managers as appropriate.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and analyzes problems, weighs relevance and accuracy of information, generates and evaluates alternative solutions, and makes sound recommendations.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Grade 13: Education cannot be substituted for the required specialized experience.
Please see Benefits at www.sihr.si.edu for a complete
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge of desktop and laptop software and hardware technologies and techniques for computers with both Macintosh and Windows operating systems gained through work experience.
- Knowledge of Federal procurement and contracting laws, policies, regulations and practices in order to plan for and initiate large hardware and software purchases and direct contractor-supported desktop services and projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain desktop and laptop hardware and software baselines using configuration management techniques, gained through work experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with functional managers, program managers, subject matter specialists, customers, and contractor representatives, developing presentations and presenting plans to internal and external groups at professional and managerial levels, gained through work experience.
- Ability to supervise an IT staff that has a major role in customer service, gained through work experience as a senior IT Specialist, team leader or supervisor.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation