There when you need us!
Child, Youth & School Services recognizes the challenges of our Soldiers and their Families. By offering quality programs for children, youth and students, CYS supports the Army Family Covenant by reducing the conflict between mission readiness and parental responsibility.
Performs duties under the general direction of the supervisor who outlines program objectives and is available for discussion of
complicated and unprecedented matters.
The Area of Consideration (AOC) for this vacancy announcement is Frederick and Silver Spring, MD. Military Spouse Preference (MSP) and Involuntarily-Separated Military Preference (ISMP) Preference-eligible candidates are included in the AOC.
This position is located at the Forest Glen Child Development Center (CDC) in Silver Spring, MD
Occasional travel - Travel between Frederick and Silver Spring, MD
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment:
- If selected, a completed and signed copy of our job application form (DA Form 3433) is required prior to entrance on duty. (Click here to view form).
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment of background checks in accordance with AR 215-3, and a Child Care Tier 1 background investigation and Child and Youth National Agency Check with Inquiries (CNACI).
- A current health assessment and immunizations IAW current Army and DoD policy including annual influenza vaccinations.
- Travel to on and off post locations may be required.
- Schedule includes irregular hours, evenings, and/or weekends.
- Duties involve working both indoors and outdoors.
- The ability to obtain (within first six months of employment) and maintain a Food Protection Manager Certification acquired through an American National Standards Institute (ANSI)-accredited agency is required.
- Candidates must indicate the ability to perform the work of Cook, NA-08 without more than normal supervision.
- Must have experience demonstrating knowledge of a full range of food preparation techniques needed to: Develop and revise standardized recipes, coordinate cooking in large quantities using complex recipes and varied cooking methods, prepare foods for special/modified diets (i.e., diabetic exchanges, low sodium, food allergies), and instruct lower-level cooks.
- Must have experience using a variety of commercial food service tools and equipment to include cleaning and sanitation practices.
- Must have basic math skills needed to modify recipes for large quantities and to determine portion sizes.
- Must be able to communicate in English both verbally and in writing.
- Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs, is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs (click here to view kit or copy this URL: www.armycivilianservice.com/JOA/NAF_Applicant_Information_Kit.pdf )
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF Preference - Involuntarily Separated From the Military
- NAF Preference - Spouse Employment Preference (SEP)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Spouse/Widow/Parent of Veteran (OAV)