Supervisory General Attorney (Tax), Director, Headquarter Operations
7 days left
- Full Time
The Office of Chief Counsel, IRS, the largest tax law firm in the country, is looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our team and gain valuable experience in a legal environment. Our mission is to serve America's taxpayers fairly and with integrity by providing correct and impartial interpretation of the internal revenue laws and the highest quality legal advice and representation for the Internal Revenue Service. It's a great place to work with an excellent benefits package and family-friendly atmosphere.
The incumbent serves as personal advisor to the Division Counsel/Deputies Division Counsel on a variety of issues relating to the administrative and management support needs of the Division Counsel organization, including assisting and advising on procedures for identifying, planning, and evaluating Division programs, services and resources. The incumbent performs legal research and analysis on selected tax matters as assigned by the Division Counsel/Deputies Division Counsel. The incumbent also serves as the first-line supervisor for the Division Counsel Headquarters support staff, including the management analyst and management/legal assistants.
Occasional travel - Local and overnight travel may be required. Overnight travel is generally less than 5 nights per month.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants will be considered based on their overall background as it relates to the position to be filled. All application materials and interviews, if conducted, will be used in the final evaluation and selection process.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume will result in a “not qualified” determination.
To qualify for this position at the GS-15 grade level, you must have 1 year of specialized experience, equivalent in scope and effect to the GS-14 level. Specialized experience: You must demonstrate thorough and comprehensive professional knowledge and understanding of Federal tax statutes and regulations, and Internal Revenue Service policies and decisions, particularly as they relate to tax laws affecting individuals filing schedules C, E, F and/or Form 2106 as well as corporations, S-corporations, and partnerships with assets $10 million or less.
- The J.D. and/or the LL.M. must be from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Candidates must be admitted to practice law before the highest court of a state or territory of the United States; the District of Columbia; or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Applicants must possess a J.D. and have 1 year of general legal experience plus 3 years of professional legal tax experience. An LL.M. degree in the field of the position (tax) may be substituted for one year of general legal experience listed above.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- Occasional travel is required.
- A 1-year trial period is required.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually thereafter.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, the Executive Resources Branch will assess your overall specialized knowledge and experience as it relates to the position to be filled, compare it to the other applicants' knowledge and experience and determine the candidate best qualified for the position. The board may or may not conduct interviews. You will be notified of the outcome.
To preview questions please click here.