Information Technology Technician II
1 day left
- Full Time
Provides personal computer and telecommunications support to users, including the installation and configuration of hardware and software. Troubleshoots and provides first-line diagnosis for PC/telecommunications hardware and software problems. Reads and interprets technical manuals used in the assembly, installation, repair, and operation of data communications equipment. Maintains records and writes reports. Monitors police workgroup calls for assistance entered into the DIT technical support center call-tracking system. Ensures connectivity to network and mainframe resources, including Outlook and the police records management system. Assists the network analyst with the management of user accounts and network resources. Ensures PCs and application software meet the standards specified in the police department's SOP and county information technology standards. Serves as initial point-of-contact with vendors for warranty repairs and contractors for other maintenance and repairs as required. Coordinates the PC replacement program by ensuring PCs are configured to department standards and delivered to the appropriate users. Manages the secondary distribution and/or disposal of replaced PCs. Position is located within the Information Technology Bureau of the Fairfax County Police Department.Illustrative Duties
- Provides hardware and software support of PC's and network/telecommunications system infrastructure equipment;
- Installs, configures, upgrades, and troubleshoots problems related to hardware, software, and other equipment;
- Responds to calls from users;
- Troubleshoots Level 1 problems related to any aspect of network/telecommunications systems and PC's;
- Diagnoses, tracks, resolves, and documents problems;
- Serves as initial point-of-contact with vendors to solve problems;
- Identifies and resolves hardware, software, communications, and networking problems related to end-user computing; may maintain and repair communication lines, routers, and software;
- Schedules and coordinates preventative maintenance on computer and peripheral equipment;
- Installs, configures and tests new and updated releases of end-user software systems and computing equipment;
- Advises, trains, and assists users on how best to utilize system and ensures installation of desktop hardware and software according to established standards;
- Trains and cross-trains fellow employees on system operations and usage;
- Performs password and other various levels of security support on systems;
- Analyzes statistics and writes reports on system events and performance;
- Creates and manages databases, procedures, and documentation, including equipment inventory of utilized and spare equipment.
- Knowledge of communications protocol and standards;
- Knowledge of personal computers and personal computer software application packages and development products;
- Identifies system problems and recommends possible solutions;
- Corrects and tests software and hardware problems;
- Knowledge of personal computer and network/telecommunication architecture;
- Knowledge of data communication principles;
- Ability to communicate technical ideas clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to train and provide support to computer users;
- Ability to perform personal computer system troubleshooting on both software and hardware problems;
- Ability to implement or coordinate equipment repairs and solve software problems;
- Ability to read and interpret technical manuals used in the assembly, installation, repair, and operation of data communications equipment;
- Ability to maintain records and write reports.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer. Employee is subject to random drug testing.
Associate degree in computer science, or related field plus two years of experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting of personal computers, network/telecommunications systems an one year similar experience.
Work requires the ability to operate keyboard-driven equipment and to sit for long periods. Work also requires being able to lift over 20 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.