Water Treatment Plant Operator
About the Position:
This position is located at the Dalecarlia Water Treatment Plant, 5900 MacArthur Boulevard NW, Washington, DC. This position is under the supervision of the Washington Aqueduct. The Aqueduct, while part of the US Army Corps of Engineers, is a large scale, vital public utility, wholly financed through the sale of potable water. The job provides the opportunity to work at one of the largest water utilities in the nation, serving the public and producing a product which impacts the lives of all metropolitan area citizens and businesses on a daily basis. To be successful in this position, you will need to commit yourself to the Aqueduct's mission of providing safe, reliable and cost effective water.
- Ample free parking is provided on site
- Limited public bus service
Who May Apply: U.S. CitizensLearn more about this agency
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position requires an appropriate Water Treatment Plant Operator (Class III) certification by the Association of Boards of Certification or equivalent.
- Must obtain and maintain a critical sensitive (TOP SECRET) security clearance.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, State-issued motor vehicle driver's license.
- This position requires participation in the Department of Army Drug-Free Federal Workplace Program to include passing a urinalysis drug testing prior to appointment and passing random urinalysis drug testing after appointment.
- This position requires participation in the Medical Surveillance Program to include passing a pre-employment physical and annually thereafter. As part of the Medical Surveillance Program, you will be required to occasionally wear escape respiratory protection and will also require the incumbent to wear protective safety equipment, such as safety shoes, safety glasses, goggles, respirators, hearing protection, hard hat, safety harness, etc.
- This position is designated as a key emergency essential position.
- This position does require working any of three shifts including weekends and holidays, and must report according to posted schedule regardless of weather conditions, etc.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Screen Out Element: ABILITY TO DO THE WORK OF A WATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR WITHOUT MORE THAN NORMAL SUPERVISION
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS ,ABILITIES, COMPETENCIES:
- KNOWLEDGE OF EQUIPMENT ASSEMBLY INSTALLATION, AND REPAIR, ETC
- OPERATION OF WATER TREATMENT PLANT EQUIPMENT
- TECHNICAL PRACTICES (THEORETICAL, PRECISE, ARTISTIC)
- USE OF MEASURING INSTRUMENTS
- ABILITY TO INTERPRET INSTRUCTIONS, SPECIFICATIONS, ETC.
- DEXTERITY AND SAFETY
Operators are subject to long periods of standing, sitting, walking, bending, stooping, on hard concrete floors while taking readings, cleaning filters, etc. Operators must have the ability to climb ladders, climb over and between pipes, move heavy objects with hand trucks, clear feeders and feed hoppers with long steel rods and be able to do some repair work while wearing self-contained breathing apparatus.
Work is performed in several areas
with extreme temperature and humidity variation. Inside work is performed on
hard floors such as concrete or quarry tile, and employee may be subject to
possible shock and bumps, skin irritation and fumes from chemicals. Is subject to work
on any of three shifts including weekends and holidays, and must report
according to posted schedule regardless of weather conditions, etc.
Water Treatment Plant Operators are essential personnel. They must be willing and able to work all work schedules, all shifts, weekends, holidays, emergencies and whenever needed.
No formal education is required. However successful completion of a Water Treatment Plant Operator Class III Certification by the American Boards of Certification (ABC) or equivalent is required for this position.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.Read more Security clearance Top Secret