Assistant Vice President Project Management Office
6 days left
- Full Time
Assistant Vice President Project Management Office
Office of the Chief Operating Officer
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an experienced leader to serve as Assistant Vice President Project Management Office within the Office of the Chief Operating Officer. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations and Planning, the Assistant Vice President (AVP) will build strategic relationships and collaborate with leaders across the organization to identify, develop, and deliver projects that enhance productivity, improve the quality of work, and provide a better experience for our students. Leading a team of project managers (PMs), this AVP will create an environment that prioritizes strong relationships that focus on understanding and achieving UMUC's business outcomes.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Stakeholder Management & Business Engagement
- Work collaboratively with divisions and departments to identify opportunities for business improvements and launch the most appropriate projects
- Collaborate with cross functional business units to ensure that projects are being executed in accordance with established business objectives
- Provide visibility to executive staff and key departmental leaders on status of projects including progress, productivity, costs, risk and quality metrics
- Communicate regularly, developing strong relationships across the organization
- Team Management & Collaboration
- Lead and inspire a team of PMs who are the catalyst to the delivery of projects
- Interact and partners with other functional leaders, IT technical teams, and/or external consultants to ensure successful delivery of projects as well as optimal performance of the project team
- Create an environment of strong collaboration, visibility, and accountability
- Engage in development, performance assessment, and succession planning for PMs
- Portfolio Planning & Execution
- Manage the alignment and prioritization of initiatives based on business strategy and objectives
- Provide leadership in the constructing of project teams, charters, project plans, contingencies, success metrics and ROI measurements
- Provide leadership for PMs to manage all phases of project, including scoping, planning, definition, design, development, testing and deployment cycles
- Project Methodology & Governance
- Manage the administration of project submissions through the agreed prioritization and approval process, maintaining a pipeline of approved projects
- Foresee, manage, and raise appropriate visibility of risks and issues to the highest levels of the organization in order to facilitate effective decision making
- Analyze and recommend changes to governance and program management programs and policies that will ultimately increase the maturity of the practice
- Other job-related duties as assigned
Required education & experience: An earned Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning; at least seven (7) years leading a team of project managers or leading a team in a closely related discipline; and strong partnership skills including the ability to develop relationships at all levels of the organization based on trust, transparency, and by delivering on commitments.
Preferred education & experience: An earned Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning; proven ability to lead and work within teams, including the hiring, managing, coaching, and development of staff; exceptional strategic thinking and analytical skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; very strong business acumen and the ability to build consensus with all business partners; strong facilitation, conflict resolution and influencing skills; comfortable with presenting to and facilitating discussion with senior business leaders; ability to manage multiple projects, work under pressure, and adapt to rapidly changing priorities in the work environment; experience working with IT, academic partners, and third-party agencies; experience with project management tools, methodologies and frameworks; and PMP certification or equivalent.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers an excellent benefits package to include up to eight (8) credits of tuition remission per semester, a minimum of 25 days of leave, and a range of insurance options. For detailed benefits information, please visit http://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/benefits.cfm
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.