Building Services Worker
Building Service Worker
$15.37 - $20.83 per hour
Online applications must be received
by Sunday, September 17, 2017
Montgomery College, Takoma Park Campus, has need for a full-time, Building Service Worker, #S03954, in the Facilities Department. The normal work schedule is below.
Takoma Park: Monday - Friday, 2:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
*Note: Hours worked between 10:00 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. are eligible for a $1.03 cents/hour shift differential.*
This position is responsible for cleaning and disinfecting classrooms, restrooms, labs, offices, administrative, and public areas. This position is also responsible for trash & recycling collection, monitoring and reordering supplies, moving items/service to others, and floor maintenance.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Clean and dust white boards, vents, walls, windows sills, venetian blinds, and furniture.
- Empty trash and recycle bins, replace trash and recycle liners and transport to disposal area.
- Straighten classroom chairs and office furniture. Spot clean doors, light fixtures, elevators, stairs, tracks, steps, and handrails.
- Replace burnt out light bulbs.
- Clean and maintain a variety of hard and soft floor surfaces (Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT), Terrazzo and Carpet etc.) Sweep, mop, scrub, strip, wax, and buff floors.
- Vacuum, shampoo, and spot clean carpet. Remove gum from carpet and mats.
- Monitor assigned areas throughout the shift to maintain high level of cleanliness including corridors, restrooms, classrooms, and entrance ways.
- Clean and disinfect toilets, urinals, sinks, stalls, partitions, walls, mirrors, and vents.
- Clean and polish fixtures, doors, floor drain, and floors.
- Remove trash and transport to disposal area.
- Replenish supplies, toilet tissue, hand towels, soap, and sanitary bags.
- Power and foam wash restrooms weekly.
- Carry out Work Order Tasks as assigned.
- Navigate the Colleges computer maintenance management system via desktop computer and/or mobile device.
- Fill out and submit daily usage sheets, supply request forms, and submit time sheets.
- Assist in snow removal operations. Remove snow from entrance ways, ramps, and steps.
- Spread ice melt on entrance ways, ramps, and steps.
- Operate snow blowers, shovels, and salt spreaders.
- Assist with set-ups and break downs of tables, chairs, podiums, and moves.
- Safe use and handling of all equipment; including: low 450(RPM) and high speed 1500(RPM) machines, wet vacuum, wet and dry carpet cleaning equipment and perform minimum scheduled maintenance on equipment (i.e. filter check and replacement/cleaning). Operate vacuums and backpack vacuum-cleaners and attachments.
- Replace light bulbs and fluorescent light tubes as needed daily. Re-lamp classrooms, labs, hallways, and restrooms annually. Assist other building service workers with changing lights as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED, and/or any combination of education, training and experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- One (1) year cleaning experience with working knowledge of floor maintenance (stripping, waxing and buffing floors).
- Experience operating a variety of industrial cleaning and other types of equipment.
- Knowledge and application of procedures and techniques of building custodial/janitorial work, tools, equipment, and materials used, and necessary hazards/safety precautions and procedures.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with institutional cleaning practices and cleaning chemicals and their proper usage.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), the Internet, and College computer applications may be required.
- Excellent customer service and leadership skills and the ability to instruct, train, and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to use the tools, equipment and materials of the trade.
- Ability to operate cleaning equipment and the ability to perform minor repairs.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Valid driver's license and evidence of a good driving record is required.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to
work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Ability to operate two-way radio.
- Experience with Green Cleaning Products and Processes.
- Online applications must be received by Sunday,
September 17, 2017.
To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment.
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions (Step 4); and
- E-sign your application. (Step 9)
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions or to e-sign your application will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the
following are required at the time of hire
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
at least two weeks
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.