Marketing Manager - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) is the National Academy of Science's official peer-reviewed journal of original scientific research. Since its establishment in 1914, it publishes cutting-edge research reports, commentaries, reviews, perspectives, colloquium papers, and actions of the Academy. Coverage in PNAS spans the biological, physical, and social sciences.
PNAS is seeking a marketing manager to plan and implement strategies to achieve marketing and publicity goals for the weekly scientific research journal, PNAS. Oversees market research (e.g., surveys and focus groups) and prepares marketing materials. Develops and implements strategies for promotion of the journal. Manages subscription sales and subscription fulfillment, and oversees sales agents. Identifies and analyzes potential market opportunities. Analyzes and develops pricing strategies for the journal. Manages vendor relations. Supervises staff. The position requires strong interpersonal skills, facility in verbal and written communication, excellent organizational ability, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and an ability to multi-task. Journal publishing experience is a plus.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Establishes a vision and working strategy for marketing/sales activities.
2. Identifies and analyzes potential market opportunities, combining internal analysis with input from sales representatives, customers, vendors, etc.
3. Develops, strategizes placement for, and implements marketing/promotional and sales materials such as advertising, brochures, and social media campaigns. Creates, distributes, and tracks effectiveness of materials.
4. Expands and develops new sales channels and sales opportunities. Forecasts future revenue streams, estimates levels of sales, and prepares spreadsheets and narratives with analysis of sales operations.
5. Negotiates and determines pricing for subscriptions considering market trends, income needs, and various discounting methodologies.
6. Creates and analyzes data and industry trends based on usage and market research.
7. Effectively leads and supervises the marketing/sales staff.
8. Develops and manages day-to-day relationships with sales representatives, vendors, distributors, and customers. Ensures adherence to contractual obligations.
9. Manages the marketing/sales budget. Monitors expenses, analyzes revenue sources, and ensures budget parameters are met.
10. Provides project management support and analysis. Sets and monitors goals, schedules, and related budgets.
11. Manages the PNAS subscription programs, fulfillment system, and inventory activities, including vendor negotiations and management.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to solve problems of substantial variety and complexity. Ability to undertake tasks broad in nature, requiring ingenuity, and originality. Ability to serve as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues. Ability to operate independently, and exercise significant latitude for independent judgement, discretion, and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment and form and maintain effective teams. Ability to manage and maintain privileged, sensitive, and confidential information and matters appropriately. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.