Salary: $16/hour and up
Hours: Monday – Thursday, 10 hours daily
The Driver is a safe and experienced individual who operates and drives the Verizon Innovative Learning explorer lab, a custom built 45-foot bus that travels to schools and events in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. The explorer lab will serve the DC Public School system for the 2017/2018 school year.
This is a full-time, year-round position. The driver can expect to work four 10 hour days each week, Monday through Thursday. The hours will generally follow the school day. The driver will typically drive a different route each week to a different school in the District of Columbia. The driver will take bus into and out of DC each day to a storage location in the Rockville, Maryland area.
The Driver will also be responsible for transporting the completed vehicle from Burbank, CA to Maryland in October 2017. In addition to DCPS schools, the Driver should expect to transport the explorer lab to five to eight out of town events on during the 2017/18 school year. Events may require overnight travel. This position reports to the Vice President of Education.
Responsibilities include transporting and maintaining the explorer lab, including:
- Transport explorer lab to/from schools in the District of Columbia, or other events - includes driving the vehicle, fueling the vehicle, operating the handicapped lift, operating the onboard generator, operating the onboard HVAC, loading and unloading equipment and supplies, and securing contents for transport
- Ensure the safety of the children, which may include accompanying students across the street, providing first aid in emergencies, and keeping the bus in safe working condition
- Ensure the safety and security of the vehicle – this includes avoiding accidents, following security protocols, and assisting staff to maintain orderliness among the students
- Ensure the vehicle and contents are kept perfect and clean at all times by washing both the inside and outside parts of the vehicle
- Ensure proper preventative maintenance is completed on schedule, any needed repairs are identified and addressed in a timely manner
- Greet students and assist the staff with the student experience as necessary
- Staff after-school events, such as family science night, and public events, such as conferences, festivals, and sporting events
- Follow precise a schedule and adjust driving according to traffic and weather conditions in order to arrive at each event at the designated time
Position requirements: Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with a minimum of five years commercial driving experience. Must have at least a class B license with an air brake endorsement. Proof of a clean driving record and at least two professional references will be required. Must meet the following:
- Negative point accumulation is not to exceed minus four (-4) points
- Zero (0) driving suspensions or revocations
- Zero (0) incidents of serious motor vehicle violation, including, but not limited, to driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs; reckless driving; leaving the scene of an accident, or a series of convictions that reflect a pattern of unsafe behavior
- Has not been assigned to any alcohol safety action program or driver alcohol rehabilitation program
- Has not been assigned to any driver improvement programs
- Applicants with a DUI/DWI will not be considered
- Ability to pass a criminal background check in addition to pre-employment and ongoing random drug tests.
- This position requires an individual with stellar customer service and attitude who is friendly, outgoing and has the ability to work well as part of a team. The Driver must be flexible and adapt well in unpredictable situations.
- Travel with possible overnight stays across the United States is required. The Driver must have own transportation to Rockville, MD and be available for day, evening and occasional weekend functions. Out of town travel expected to be 25 percent during the school year.
The fine print
MdBio Foundation offers many benefits to its employees, including paid leave, health insurance, 401(k), and tuition reimbursement. This is a full-time, year-round, non-exempt, hourly position which is currently grant funded through June 2018. We expect that funding will continue past this time, however, it is not guaranteed. The candidate will be selected for hire based on the following criteria: Experience, driving record, communication skills, professional references, background check, and availability. Salary will be based on experience. Anticipated salary range will be $16 - $20 a hour.