Secretary - Executive Administrative - Facilities
- Full Time
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Performs responsible and diversified administrative duties for executives of Anne Arundel County Public Schools. The position requires considerable judgment, initiative, inter-personal, organizational, and problem-solving skills. It has great latitude as well as accountability to determine courses of action where precedents may not exist.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Schedules all appointments for the supervisor;
2. Makes all arrangements needed for teleconferences, meetings, and conferences;
3. Handles all correspondence for the supervisor;
4. Serves as the liaison between the school system community and the supervisor on all information flows;
5. Prioritizes and manages the work flow of the office;
6. Assists with the preparation of letters, memoranda, instructions, budgets, and a variety of confidential information.
7. Maintains various administrative policies and procedures that require periodic attention such as filing systems, schedules, meeting minutes, agendas, information requests and other items as needed.
8. Complexity and Problem Solving (degree to which work activities must depart from routine procedures):
* Exercises initiative and good judgment in the timely execution of delegated administrative responsibilities.
* Prepares effective, well-written correspondence appropriate to the requirements of the executive office.
*Exercises judgment, resourcefulness and tact in dealing with unexpected situations.
9. Interpersonal Influence (degree of interaction with others inside and outside of the immediate work group):
*Deals tactfully and effectively with high level school administrators and other employees.
*Maintains confidentiality in interaction with others where it is required.
10. Leadership (degree to which position must manage single or multiple functional/operational areas):
*Maintains complex multiple calendars and arrange for meetings, conferences, and travel.
*Oversees office telephone coverage and coordinates alternative coverage during absences and schedule changes.
*Identifies, expedites, and follows up on work priorities in the executive office.
11. Strategic Impact (degree to which your job influences longer term success of your unit and beyond):
*Provides the administrative support needed for the executive to be an effective operating officer and strategic leader.
12. Functional Impact (degree to which your job influences School expenditures and financial results):
*Assists in preparing and maintaining the budget for the office.
13. Organizational Impact (degree to which your job influences organizational capabilities):
*Helps to convey the authority of the office of the executive to the rest of the organization through tact, discretion, and the management of all communication between the executive office and other departments and units within the School System, and with the larger outside community.
14. Latitude of Action (degree to which your job has latitude to carry out work assignments):
*Employs considerable latitude to accomplish routine work assignments and to determine procedures for other clerical personnel.
15. Accountability (degree to which your job is accountable for the actions/results of others):
*Accountable for the actions of other clerical personnel in the office and for the image of the office of the executive as formed through contact with outside parties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· High school diploma or Equivalency Certificate plus specialized training in administrative support science acquired through business school or college OR an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities deemed sufficient to prepare the applicant to successfully perform the duties of the position.
· Five years of responsible and diversified administrative and/or secretarial experience required OR an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities deemed sufficient to prepare the applicant to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Demonstrated abilities to take and transcribe dictation and operate personal computers including proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database management and desktop publishing programs.
· Ability to exercise tact, discretion, and cooperation in dealing with others.
· Ability to organize and manage executive schedules and logistics.
· Ability to train, assign, coordinate, and supervise the work of other clerical office personnel.
Career Ladder Requirements
Due to the nature of the positions supported by Executive Administrative Secretaries, designated to be part of the Superintendent's Executive staff or otherwise designated below, when a supervisor is promoted or appointed to an executive position listed below, the Secretary qualifies for advancement based on the position of the supervisor. This advancement is subject to a six month probationary period.
Job Grade is predicated on the position of the executive supported by the employee, as follows:
Executive Position Supported
Grade of Executive Administrative Secretary
Deputy Superintendent, Chief Operating Officer
Assistant Superintendents, Associate Superintendent, Chief Information Officer, Exec Dir Human Resources , Chief Communications Officer
Regional Assistant Superintendent, BOE
Exec Dir Alternative Education, Exec Dir Equity & Accelerated Student Achievement, Exec Dir Instructional Data
Should the supervisor's position no longer be designated as part of the Superintendent's Executive Staff, or otherwise be removed from the list above, the secretary's position shall revert to a grade associated with the position of the supervisor.
· As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.