Hispanic/Latino Student Success Completion Advisor
About Howard Community College:
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
This position is responsible for assisting in the implementation of the Ambiciones project to promote Hispanic/Latino student success. The position will assist with coordinating and participating in student recruitment, retention, and success initiatives focused on Hispanic/Latino students and for linking Hispanic/Latino students to the academic support services necessary to ensure their success, retention and completion. Serve as a liaison with the office of enrollment services to provide information in Spanish and to act as a central resource person. Will identify and develop linkages with the Hispanic/Latino community of Howard County. Make contact with Hispanic/Latino students to formulate plans for academic completion and success. Refer students to appropriate resources. Assist with tracking student success. Serve as a liaison between students and instructors, as well as other student services areas. Interpret college, classroom, and athletic policies and procedures for students, faculty and staff. Attend training involving student retention. In the course of performing the position's duties, this position will have extensive involvement with students, staff and the public in carrying out program activities, and will coordinate, schedule and monitor program activities to determine consistency with program goals. Assist Completion Specialists with monitoring, tracking and implementing interventions for academic standing and early alert for Hispanic students.
- Responsible for coordinating and participating in student recruitment, retention, and success initiatives focused on Hispanic/Latino students
- Serves as liaison with community organizations serving the Hispanic/Latino community
- Work with Hispanic/Latino students to formulate academic plans for completion and success
- Refer students to appropriate resources
- Assist Completion Specialists with tracking student success
- Assist Completion Specialists with monitoring, tracking, and implementing interventions for academic standing and early alert
- Document services provided in HCC Express and HCC's Early Alert System
- Serve as a liaison between students, instructors and student services areas
- Interpret college, classroom, and athletic policies and procedures for students, faculty and staff
- Conducts outcome assessments on effectiveness of services and impact on student success
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred. Must be bilingual/bicultural in English/Spanish.
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Experience working with students who have academic challenges
- Knowledge of student academic success strategies
- College retention or advising experience preferred
- Experience with computer software packages: Word, Access, Excel, Powerpoint
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
Hours Per Week: 25 hours/week; 12 months
Work Schedule: schedule varies
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: August 18, 2017
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
Please attach the following documents:
2) Cover letter
Link for job announcement: https://www.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=87827[interviewexchange.com]