Assistant Managing Editor
Bloomberg BNA provides legal, tax and compliance professionals with critical information, practical guidance and workflow solutions. We leverage leading technology and a global network of experts to deliver a unique combination of news and authoritative analysis, comprehensive research solutions, innovative practice tools, and proprietary business data and analytics. Bloomberg BNA is an affiliate of Bloomberg L.P., the global business, financial information and news leader.
Bloomberg BNA seeks an Assistant Managing Editor. The Assistant Managing Editor will assist the News Director (ND) and Deputy News Director (DND) with the operational, editorial, and production activities of assigned news content, product lines, and resource or practice centers.
Assistant Managing Editors at this classification perform or assist the ND and DND with any or all of the following:
- Work with reporters to produce engaging copy that has value for and can be easily understood by readers with a range of expertise levels.
- Edit copy for substance, style and grammar, and ensure deadlines are met.
- Work with ND and DND on product line scope and coverage.
- Make writing, reporting, and editing assignments, including coordinating coverage and assignments with staff and others.
- Keep abreast of current developments, trends and issues affecting relevant subject areas to make appropriate editorial decisions.
- Develop and maintain professional contacts in the government and private sectors, to be used as authors, advisors or other otherwise.
- Coordinate activities of product advisory board(s), if any, and/or to readers and practitioners to maximize opportunities for knowledge of market needs, product improvement and promotion.
- Supervise staff and provide opportunities for development and improvement of subject area knowledge, reporting, writing, research, technical, and other skills.
- Work with ND and DND on staff performance evaluations and make decisions for reclassifications promotions, terminations, and new hires.
- Work with ND and DND to support strategic initiatives.
- Work with ND and DND on lead development of sales, marketing and strategy efforts, including social media.
- Monitor the business and financial performance of product.
- Monitor competition and help formulate responses to competitive threats and identify competitive opportunities.
- Encourage flow of new product ideas from staff and professional contacts.
- Respond to requests or comments from subscribers and sales reps.
- Explore new product proposals and innovations.
- Maintain current knowledge of developments on issues related to product scope.
- Participate in special projects and assumes other responsibilities as assigned.
3+ years’ experience in journalism, legal, or business publishing, including reporting, writing, and substantive copy editing of complex editorial; 2+ years of managerial experience preferred. Knowledge of subjects covered by assigned products, including issues, trends, and target markets; Understanding of publishing systems and workflows; Outstanding editing and copy editing skills; Ability to work with copy on complex subjects; Excellent wiring, reporting, and research skills; Knowledge of government and regulatory processes; Ability, with training, to work with data analytics and data-driving journalism; Demonstrated organizational and project management skills, including the ability to project resources and staff effectively with established schedules, and other guidelines; Excellent interpersonal skills to deal with customers, staff, and other contacts inside and outside Bloomberg BNA; Ability to work effectively as a member of team under deadline pressure on multiple projects with shifting priorities; Bachelor’s degree required; coursework in English or journalism preferred.
Candidates may be required to pass a test for this position.
Bloomberg BNA is an affiliate of Bloomberg L.P., the global business, financial information and news leader. Its network of more than 2,500 reporters, correspondents, and leading practitioners delivers expert analysis, news, practice tools, and guidance — the information that matters most to professionals. Bloomberg BNA’s authoritative coverage spans the full range of legal practice areas, including tax & accounting, labor & employment, intellectual property, banking & securities, employee benefits, health care, privacy & security, human resources, and environment, health & safety.
Bloomberg BNA offers a comprehensive benefits package including tuition reimbursement, domestic partner benefits, transportation subsidies, annual and sick leave, parenting leave, 401(k), and much more.
Bloomberg BNA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. Bloomberg BNA has adopted an Affirmative Action Program to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, genetic information, disabled veteran, veteran, veteran of the Vietnam Era, or any other classification protected by law.