Product Manager, Education
The product manager position will manage the product life-cycle of products and services developed by the Product Management department.
The product manager will immerse himself/herself in the market, monitoring competition and learning all aspects of the key persona of our current and future customers and users with a focus on their workflow and engagement with content in this workflow. This position will understand their pain points and use this knowledge to develop new products and improve existing products. This position will be responsible for market research, interpreting market research, developing new product concepts/existing product features, writing business requirements, working with IT to build products and product features, working with sales/marketing to position the product/service in the market, and communicating regularly with business stakeholders.
This position will help the Product Management department to develop exciting and successful new products and services for the education market while creating net revenues to be repurposed to support the mission of the other APA directorates.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, with a degree in psychology or social science preferred; masters level highly desirable.
- Minimum of three years’ experience required in the information, education, or publishing industry, in either a marketing or product-oriented role.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of how users of online information seek and use information from a variety of sources.
- Experience in leading product development projects with cross-functional teams required.
- Experience with successfully launching new products to market preferred.
- Knowledge of Pragmatic Marketing processes desired.
Computer Skills Required:
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Proficient with using Survey/Market Research Tools
- Proficient using Analytic Tools (e.g., Google Analytics)
- Familiar with Product Road-Mapping Tools
- Familiar with Commercial Search Interfaces (EBSCO, Ovid, Medline, etc.)
- Familiar with Project and Development Management Tools (eg, JIRA, LeanKit, Confluence, WorkOtter)
- Develops a product feature road map for the development of products/services within their areas of product responsibility.
- Develops systems for review and prioritization of all new product features including the strategic importance to the APA as well as viable P&L.
- Interprets results of market research and delivers a clear product strategy to drive growth.
- Prioritizes/re-prioritizes the items within the product roadmap as external/internal conditions change.
- Reviews the financial profitability of products and services and makes recommendations to enhance, build, and/or sunset products based upon net revenue projections.
- Monitors competitors and market conditions and utilizes this information to inform product strategy.
- Evaluates the key persona and develops specific criteria for monitoring their needs.
- Determines when and what solution needs to be developed to solve specific needs.
- Determines the best methodology for capturing market information for a given problem.
- Conducts cost-benefit analyses of adding product features to determine their impact on the financial feasibility of a product solution.
- Prioritizes product features for development staff.
- Writes business requirements for product capabilities.
- Provides distinct positioning points for each persona to sales and marketing staff to ensure maximum sales for a product/service.
- Monitors the competition and makes product enhancements upon changes in the market.
- Monitors product usage and develops plans to drive usage and retention.
- Develops and manages product advisory and contributor boards.
- Represents the APA for education products and services in the market.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary requirements. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.