Junior Environmental Scientist/Engineer
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 16,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams.
Tetra Tech Inc. is currently seeking a full-time Junior Environmental Scientist/Engineer to work out of its Sterling, VA office location.
The selected candidate will provide project support for environmental projects, related to federal, state, municipal, and commercial clients. The candidate will be responsible for task level work, including: field investigations (including soil, water, and air sampling; drilling and subcontractor supervision; and coordination with analytical laboratories), construction and/or remedial action oversight, health and safety air monitoring, and preparation of technical reports. The candidate will work collaboratively with and under the supervision of a senior scientist or project manager. The candidate will be expected to follow company safety standards, participate in safety training, and prepare as well as implement site-specific health and safety plans. The candidate will be responsible for reviewing, understanding, and implementing site-specific work plans and scopes of work. The candidate will prepare various technical deliverables including reports, letters, proposals, cost estimates, tables, and figures.
• 1-6 years of professional environmental consulting experience is required, with history of increasing responsibility. Project experience to include: carrying out Phase I ESAs (ASTM-compliant), Phase II Site Investigations, UST compliance monitoring, UST closures, and vapor intrusion assessments. Previous field experience required, including supervision of sampling activities and environmental drilling operations, ability to work independently on field projects.
• Experience preparing technical reports, memos, response to comments tables, and diagrams is required. Must be a competent technical writer.
• Attention to detail is required. The successful candidate must be able to observe, evaluate, and document site field conditions and communicate changes in field conditions to senior staff.
• Ability to analyze chemistry and environmental data is required.
• Ability to interface with clients, subcontractors, working groups, and internal customers required.
• Previous experience working on proposals is preferred.
• Working knowledge of the conceptual site model process is preferred. Experience including CERCLA RI/FS and PA/SI is preferred.
• Initial project management training or experience is preferred.
• Experience with data validation is preferred.
• Ability to assist with cost estimating and obtaining bids from vendors and subcontractors is preferred.
• The successful candidate is able to communicate effectively and make evaluated decisions for the betterment of the client and the company.
• The successful candidate will work as a problem solver, will have an interest and ability to work in a collaborative manner, and will have the flexibility to adapt to changing situations.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
• Must be able to manage time well and work on tasks as part of a larger project team.
• Must have a strong health and safety ethic.
• In addition to English, fluency in other languages will be considered a plus.
• Candidate should be self-motivated and able to take directions and work independently.
Education and Certifications:
• BS/BA degree in Environmental Sciences/Engineering, Geology, Chemistry, Environmental Planning or a related discipline is required. Advanced degrees are preferred.
• Professional certifications are preferred.
• OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER Training is required.
• OSHA 30-Hour Construction Safety Training and 8-hour OSHA Supervisors of Hazardous Waste Operations Training are preferred.
The candidate must be able to walk around project sites for a full day if required and must be physically able to carry up to 35 pounds of equipment (such as sampling tools, GPS unit, field screening equipment and cameras) during field work. Field activities take place in a variety of weather conditions, and can occur in remote locations and include areas of uneven terrain or occur during harsh weather. Candidate must be able to sit at a desk / computer in an office environment for office-based tasks. Must be able to drive a motor vehicle and pass a motor vehicle records check. The work environment will consist of a mix of office and field work, with some field work requiring overnight stays. The candidate must be able to work in the field 50% of the time.
To apply, please submit your resume & cover letter online at www.tetratech.com/career and search for Job I.D. No: 10300000408.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
Tetra Tech is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value workplace diversity. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability * No calls or agencies