Budget Analyst ZA-560-02/03 (DE/CR)
This position is located in the National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information (NESDIS) Chief Financial Officer/Chief Administrative Officer, Silver Spring, MD.
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band.
The ZA-02 is equivalent to the GS-7/9 and the ZA-03 is equivalent to the GS-11/12.
The full performance level for this position is ZA-03.
(only for ACWA covered positions at 2 grade level) The ZA-2 is equivalent to the GS-7/9 grade levels, however is only being advertised equivalent to the GS-9 grade level. The ZA-3 is equivalent to the GS-11/12.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NESDIS-2017-0048, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year probationary/trial period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy may be used to fill other Budget Analyst, ZA-0560-02/03 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution is equivalent to U.S. education standards with your resume. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process. If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.
Note: Your college transcript is used to verify successful completion of degree, or college course work. An official college transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
EDUCATION: There is no positive education requirement for this position; however applicants must possess at least one year of specialized experience or a substitution of education for experience in order to be found minimally qualified.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience need not have been in the federal government.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the ZA-02:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZA-02 or GS-07 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Providing advice and recommendations for budget actions which includes preparing budget estimates, exhibits, backup tables, briefing documents, and programmatic explanations in support of budget submissions.
- Gathering statistical data needed for financial reporting, preparing financial documentation for audits, preparing budget requests, tracking funds, preparing financial and budgetary reports, reviewing budget and program data for accuracy, reposting and reconciling credit card statements, and reviewing and approving travel expenses and payments.
- Providing guidance and oversight on budget, financial management, and investment review to ensure funds necessary to carry out for the mission, obtained, allocated, and expended in accordance with the Department's priorities and relevant law and policies
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION: 1 full year of graduate level education orsuperior academic achievement.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total qualification requirements.
To qualify at the ZA-03:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZA-02 or GS-09 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Providing specialized budget formulation and execution guidance;
- Performing extensive research and analysis of applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Reviewing and preparing internal analysis of budget requests leading to the development of final budget submissions.
- Carrying out agency mission, programs, and legislative history to develop budgetary policies to implement agency program goals.
- Utilizing the theories, principles, and techniques of sound management and management analysis technique
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; OR LL.M. degree, if related.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable. Only graduate education in excess of the amount required for the next lower grade is qualifying.
ICTAP candidates will be eligible if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of 85 out of 100. Information about ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management’s Career Transition Resources website at: Employee Guide to Career Transition
ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice; notice of proposed removal for failure to relocate; notice of disability annuity termination; certification from your former agency that it cannot place you after your recovery from a compensable injury; or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for disability retirement;
- A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action” documenting your RIF separation, noting your positions, grade level, and duty location, and/or Agency certification of inability to place you through RPL, etc;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of the three pre-defined categories. The categories are “gold”, “silver” and “bronze”. However, your resume or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates placed in the “gold” category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans’ preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed. Preference eligible with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold) depending on the position and grade level of the job. For more information on Category Rating, please go to Category Rating.
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Knowledge of financial management.
- Ability to communicate budget information verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical audiences and senior management.
- Knowledge of budget administration.
- Skill in using automated budget and financial systems.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation