Deputy Inspector General
OIG is organized into three line elements: the Offices of Investigations, Audits and Evaluations, and Healthcare Inspections; along with the Office of Contract Review and the Office of Management and Administration. In addition to the Washington, DC, headquarters, OIG has offices located in more than 30 cities throughout the country.
Noncompetitive Consideration: Current career Senior Executives, QRB certified graduates, graduates of SES candidate development programs, and individuals with SES reinstatement eligibility will be considered for noncompetitive appointment.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Allowable relocation expenses, excluding Guaranteed Home Sale, may be made to any eligible applicant selected from outside the commuting area. Recruitment / Relocation Incentive: A recruitment / relocation incentive up to 25 percent may be offered.
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.Mandatory Qualifications Requirements: To meet minimum qualifications, applicants must possess the following technical and executive core competencies. These competencies would typically be gained through education, experience, and training that reflects progressive development and achievement.
Technical Qualifications: All applicants must include a narrative statement showing how their knowledge and experience relate to the following technical qualifications. The narrative statement should not exceed two pages for each Technical Qualification.
TQ 1: Demonstrated success in leading a high performing organization, developing comprehensive programs, and accomplishing target goals.
TQ 2: Extensive knowledge and experience in planning and conducting programs or initiatives, and justifying conclusions, reports, and results to stakeholders.
TQ 3: Demonstrated ability to lead, supervise and coordinate a diverse workforce that is engaged in inspections, audits, reviews, and investigations.
TQ 4: Demonstrated success in making presentations, both internally and externally, on the work of the agency.
Executive Core Qualifications: The following Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) are mandatory UNLESS you are a current member of the Career SES, a former Career SES member with reinstatement eligibility or an OPM/QRB certified candidate.
ECQ 1: LEADING CHANGE: Please describe your ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals, and your ability to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2: LEADING PEOPLE: Please describe your ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals, and your ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolutions of conflicts.
ECQ 3: RESULTS DRIVEN: Please describe your ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations, and your ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
ECQ 4: BUSINESS ACUMEN: Please describe your ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5: BUILDING COALITIONS: Please describe your ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- A recruitment / relocation incentive up to 25 percent may be offered.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Citizenship: The selected applicant must be a United States citizen. Proof of citizenship will be required prior to selection.
- Drug Testing: All applicants tentatively selected for an SES position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment. After appointment, the selectee will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use.
- Background Investigation: This position is designated as special sensitive and requires a background investigation and favorable adjudication for a Top Secret clearance.
- Financial Disclosure: Senior Executives are required to comply with the Ethics in Government Act, as amended, which requires the submission of a financial disclosure statement, SF 278, upon assuming an SES position, annually, and upon separation from employment.
- Reasonable Accommodation: VA OIG provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us. The decision on granting a reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued purchase card for business-related travel.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All applicants will be evaluated by a panel of senior executives to determine the degree to which they possess the above qualifications.
Current career Senior Executives, QRB-certified graduates of SES candidate development programs, and individuals with SES reinstatement eligibility are not required to address the executive core qualifications. They are required to address the technical qualifications. All other applicants are required to address both the executive core qualifications and the technical qualifications.
To preview questions please click here.