Student Trainee (Information Technology), (Pathways Intership)
About the Position:
Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Intern Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation.
This is a Student Trainee (Information Technology) position that is year-round. During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student's schedule. This appointment is not-to-exceed 1 year and may be extended for no more that 1 additional year (24 months of total service). This position is located on Fort Belvoir, Virginia.
This position may be filled at the GS-01 level (Salary Range: $23,547 to $29,450), GS-02 level (Salary Range: $26,474 to $33,317), GS-03 level (Salary Range: $28,886 to $37,557), or GS-04 level (Salary Range: $32,428 to $42,151).
The nature of this appointment does not guarantee conversion to a career/career-conditional appointment as it is only intended to fill a temporary need of the organization.
This position is temporary and there is NO promotion potential beyond the grade that you are selected for during the entire time period you are employed under this announcement.
This is a Career Program (CP) - 34 position.
Who May Apply:
Students who are eligible for participation in the Department of the Army Internship Program
Positions are open to current students pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution.Learn more about this agency
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Click here for more information.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship at the time of your conversion to permanent employment.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
To be eligible for the Pathways Internship Program, the applicant
must meet the following requirements:
Current enrollment or acceptance for enrollment in a qualifying educational institution seeking a degree, diploma or certificate on a full or half-time basis, as defined by the educational institution. (NOTE: You must provide a copy of your letter of acceptance or transcript/school documentation for verification.) Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
To qualify for a Pathways Internship at the GS-01, students must be
enrolled in a High School diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
To qualify for a Pathways Internship at the GS-02 high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) Program.
To qualify for a Pathways Internship at the GS-03, students must have completed one full academic year of post-high school study. One full academic year is the number of credit hours determined by the college, university, or school to represent one year of full-time study.
To qualify for a Pathways Internship at the GS-04, students must have completed two full academic years of post-high school study, or have an associate's degree. Two full academic years is the number of credit hours determined by the college, university, or school to represent two years of full-time study.
Your transcripts are a required part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document. In order to qualify, you must meet all of the educational requirements below.
- Be a current student in an accredited college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community college, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, or trade school; advanced degree program; other qualifying educational institution pursing a qualifying degree or certificate.
- A copy of your letter of acceptance, proof of enrollment or unofficial transcripts must be provided at the time of application to support your education claims. If selected, OFFICIAL transcripts/proof of enrollment must be submitted prior to establishing a start date.
- An academic year of undergraduate education is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in an accredited college or university.
- Applicants graduating in Fall 2017 MUST submit proof of continuing education in order to be considered for this internship.
Only degrees from an accredited
college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable
to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for
experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel
Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, and abilities) in the following areas
- Computer Scientists concepts
- Automated Systems
This is a student internship opportunity. Your transcripts are a required part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Eligibility requirements for conversion to a permanent position. Interns must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program;
- Complete their degree or certificate requirements
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualification standard, including any applicable positive education requirement and/or selective placement factors and any other designated special qualifications requirements and conditions of employment (e.g. medical standards) appropriate for the specific competitive service position to which the Intern will be converted;
- Successfully complete all the requirements of the Internship Program as defined in the agency-participant agreement; and,
- Perform their job successfully as documented through performance evaluations and/or completion of an Individual Development Plan (IDP)
Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be reviewed to verify that you meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements. Your responses to the questionnaire will be used to evaluate your relevant personal, educational, and work experiences. If you apply more than once or if you update your original application, only the most recently submitted resume will be considered.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Ideal, Strong, and Eligible. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Ideal: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the definition of an ideal candidate as described above. Criteria include related major, grade point average, related coursework, participation in extra-curricular activities related to the target occupation, and related academic, paid, or volunteer experiences.
- Strong: This category will be used for those candidates who meet many of the criteria described above for the ideal candidate.
- Eligible: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications of the position.