The City of Takoma Park is a municipality of approximately 17,000 residents in Montgomery County, Maryland. Takoma Park is known as “Azalea City” and is the only municipality in Maryland to implement rent control regulations. The City's Housing and Community Services Division oversees the rental and affordable housing programming including Rent Stabilization, rental housing licensing, landlord-tenant mediation, emergency, and down payment assistance.
The City of Takoma Park is a great place to work. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
This position performs specialized duties in the administration of the City of Takoma Park’s licensing and registration programs including, but not limited to, the Rental Housing Licensing, Owner-Occupied Group House Registration and Vacant Property Registration programs. This position is subject membership in the AFSCME Union.
Major Duties/Essential Functions:
- Serves as primary point of contact for all licensing and registration programs offered by the Housing and Community Services Division, including but not limited to the Rental Housing Licensing, Owner Occupied Group House, and Vacant Property Registration programs.
- Processes annual and biennial Rental Housing licenses, triennial Owner Occupied Group House Registration certificates and annual Vacant Property Registration certificates; evaluates applications and change of status requests for accuracy and compliance with City Code; evaluates property records to confirm ownership; reviews finance records for payment; verifies status of landlord certification; confirms compliance with State lead poisoning prevention registration requirements; verifies proof of insurance for vacant property; reviews property maintenance inspections to determine annual or biennial license status; issues approved licenses and registration certificates.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of online Learning Management System for the Landlord Certification program; organizes and conducts certification seminars; prepares annual calendar; schedules rooms; registers participants; maintains and prepares all seminar materials; arranges set-up of meeting rooms; moderates speakers panel; participates in seminar presentations; proctors and grades written exams; prepares, issues and records certifications.
- Coordinates rental housing inspections conducted by the Montgomery County Department of Housing and Community Affairs (DHCA); ensures required inspections are performed timely and satisfactorily at an annual or biennial frequency; logs, tracks, and monitors the productivity of inspections; monitors property performance via Licensing process; tracks issues of non-compliance as regulated by the Property Maintenance Code; and works to ensure timely abatement of all exigent health and safety deficiencies.
- Conducts required field inspections including change of status inspections of rental facilities prior to discontinuation of license; life safety inspections of owner occupied group houses prior to certification; and property maintenance code inspections of vacant properties prior to registration; verifies compliance with posting requirements.
- Prepares annual billing and renewal notifications for assigned licensing and registration programs; facilitates collection of refuse billing data; coordinates billing process with Finance Department staff.
- Monitors regulatory compliance with assigned licensing and registration programs; determines compliance with local and state laws; issues notices of violations for non-compliant properties; works with property owners and/or their representatives to resolve identified violations; prepares municipal citations; prepares court documents; testifies in court; monitors orders of abatement.
- Maintains assigned databases including but not limited to the rental housing licensing, owner-occupied registration, and vacant property registry databases; manages historical licensing data; prepares requested reports for distribution to City Council and the public; serves as lead staff person for coordination of database modifications, working with programmer to address identified glitches in the software, improve functionality of system, and develop new processes.
- Conducts research to determine rental status of specific properties and ownership using a variety of online resources; investigates charges of illegal rental housing activity and abandoned property complaints.
- Maintains and updates property files and records; updates licensing, owner occupied group house, and vacant property registration forms and related documents.
- Prepares newsletter articles, web site notices, and educational materials.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/ internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
To officially apply please complete an online application at:
Only online applications will be considered.