Plant Mechanic I/II
Fairfax Water has an immediate opportunity for a Plant Mechanic.
Under close supervision of the Plant Maintenance Supervisor, performs a variety of semi-skilled corrective and preventive industrial mechanical maintenance work in the maintenance, repair and operation of specialized equipment in a water treatment plant. Maintains grounds and facilities.
Performs a variety of semi-skilled maintenance tasks by:
- Assisting higher level Plant Maintenance Mechanics in maintaining, repairing, troubleshooting, installing, modifying, overhauling and assembling plant processing equipment to include: pumps, flocculation equipment, mixers, speed reducers, gear boxes, chain and belt drives, chemical feed systems, valve actuators and other equipment.
- Assisting with plumbing, pipefitting, and welding tasks and performing general maintenance and repair work on building structures and grounds utilizing hand and power tools.
- Assisting in preventive maintenance tasks to include inspecting and lubricating plant equipment and machinery in accordance with the preventive maintenance schedule.
- Handling, transporting and removing hazardous materials according to proper safety procedures.
- Supporting operations, electrical, HVAC and Instrumentation departments as required.
- Providing information as required to complete computerized records of work required, work performed, materials used and costs, in a detailed and timely manner.
Maintains grounds and maintenance facilities by:
- Removing snow and other grounds related clean up tasks when necessary.
- Performing custodial functions as required in assigned work areas.
- Assisting in keeping maintenance vehicles, tools, equipment, and assigned work areas clean and orderly.
- Assisting in minor maintenance to vehicles.
- Operating various equipment and machinery to include: backhoes, fork lifts, dump trucks, hand and power tools, snow plows, snow blowers, gauges and safety equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school and a minimum of two years related industrial mechanical maintenance experience, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Aptitude for performing general mechanical tasks.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in plant maintenance.
- Familiarity with occupational hazards, accident prevention techniques, and personal protective equipment associated with mechanical work and hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations and use precision measuring devices.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read, understand and follow manufacturer’s service repair manuals and materials safety data sheet.
- Ability to operate heavy construction machinery and hand and power tools in a skillful and safe manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the general public
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment. This position is also subject to random testing after hire.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Pesticide Applicator’s Certification from the Commonwealth of Virginia within one year.
- Completion of a Coast Guard approved boating safety course within one year.
- Ability to work overtime and standby as required and to perform work at other Authority facilities other than the principle location.
- Ability to work unscheduled hours during emergency and/or unusual situations (24-hours/7 days a week).
- Willingness to learn and perform skilled mechanical tasks up to and including those of a full performance level as a means of increasing knowledge of the mechanical trade and developing the necessary skills required for advancement.
- Must pass a respiratory physical for respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus use and a respiratory fit test. Must maintain personal grooming standards for effective use of the equipment.
- Working conditions may include - Exposure to noise, odors, heat, cold, dust, fumes, vapors or mist, hazardous materials and conditions.
- Ability to lift up to 100 pounds and climb ladders, steps, and scaffolding.
- Ability to perform manual physical labor that may include long periods of standing, bending, twisting, stooping and climbing.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to wear a respirator.
Fairfax Water offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Applications must be received by September 19, 2017.
A Drug-Free Workplace