As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements for this position in accordance with HRML No. 05-12-02, Employment of People with Disabilities, Including Under Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u)
Designated Drug Testing Position: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with the VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
- U.S. citizenship: Applicants must be US citizens. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education: Must possess a doctoral degree in psychology from a graduate program in psychology accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) AND have successfully completed a professional psychology internship training program that has been accredited by the APA.
- Licensure: Hold a full, current, and unrestricted license to practice psychology at the doctoral level in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (i.e. Puerto Rico) or in the District of Columbia
- English Procifiency: Psychologists must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with Chapter 2, Section D, Paragraph 5A of the VA Handbook 5005 Part II.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements for this position are in accordance with HRML No. 05-12-02, Employment of People with Disabilities, Including Under Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u). Requirements include but are not limited to:
- Heavy lifting, 45 pounds and over
- Heavy carrying, 45 pounds and over
- Pushing (1 hour)
- Use of fingers
- Both hands required
- Walking (3 hours)
- Standing (3 hours)
- Repeated bending (1/2 hour)
- Both legs required
- Ability for rapid mental and muscular co-ordination simultaneously
- Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4
- Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other
- Ability to distinguish shades of colors
- Hearing (aid permitted)
- Other (specify) Mental and emotional stability required.
Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates:
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply, advanced professional psychological theories and techniques to the full range of patient populations.
- Ability to provide professional advice and consultation in areas related to professional psychology and behavioral health.
- Knowledge of clinical research literature.
- Ability to provide supervision in areas related to behavioral health and social services provision in order to accomplish the organizational goals and objectives.
- Ability to provide fair, principled and decisive leadership for a work environment that promotes shared accountability.
Experience: In addition to the experience requirements at the GS-12 level (2 years), at least 1 additional year of experience as a psychologist equivalent to the next lower grade level. Experience is only creditable if it is post-doctoral degree experience as a professional psychologist directly related to the duties to be performed. Qualifying experience must also be at a level comparable to professional psychology experience at the next lower level.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
References: Input applicable VA Handbook 5005 reference and appropriate VA Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidates education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will determine grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation