With the Internal Revenue Service as its client and 1,500 attorneys on staff, the Office of Chief Counsel is the preeminent employer for tax attorneys in the country. Our attorneys are valued assets and the legal experience provided by Chief Counsel is unlike any other. Chief Counsel attorneys provide top quality legal advice and representation to the IRS in the administration of the nation's tax laws.
The Associate Chief Counsel, Passthroughs and Special Industries (PSI) employs approximately 60 attorneys who work in our national office in Washington, D.C. These attorneys provide legal advice, litigation services, and litigation support on tax matters involving passthrough entities, the classification of entities, passive activity losses, estate and gift taxes, oil, gas, and other natural resources, at-risk rules, and tax credits to the Internal Revenue Service.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position, as failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Your application will be rated and ranked among others based on your responses to the online questions regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals, and awards relevant to the duties of this position.
Specialized experience for this position may include, but is not limited to:
- Supervised a workforce and writing formal performance appraisals.
- Managed a staff that performed a full range of administrative activities for multiple customer groups.
- Served on teams or task forces with impact on multiple offices.
- Monitored activities and accomplishments of program goals.
- Estimated resource requirements.
- Procured and managed office resources, such as office supplies or contractor support services.
- Evaluated and improved office operations.
- Experience developing training and action plans.
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or LL.M., if related. The education generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- Subject to a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- You will obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to two years of returns.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Ability to gather, assemble/compile, evaluate, analyze, and summarize data and/or facts necessary to develop, devise, and recommend solutions to problems.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, laws, regulations, etc., in both administrative and operating programs (i.e., personnel, budget, space, procurement, telecommunications, and facilities, as well as planning utilization, computer operations and systems) to effectively provide assistance, guidance, and advice to management personnel in various complex management processes and functions.
- Skill in the use of office automation, computer programs, and other software packages, i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, CASE-MIS, etc., to extract and input data/information.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to lead, oversee, and work effectively with subordinate staff.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Q - Nonsensitive