English Full Time Faculty (2 Positions)
English Full Time Faculty (Two Positions)
F02427 & F02290
Rockville and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus
$58,844 - $81,821
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit and requires payment of dues or a service fee.
Assignment begins January 2018.
Online applications must be received by Thursday,
September 28, 2017
Montgomery College (Maryland), Rockville and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campuses are seeking a full-time English faculty member to fill a position beginning January, 2018
. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated educator who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrates the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner. The selected candidate should demonstrate that s/he has the necessary credentials to teach courses in a variety of areas in English, preferably with previous experience working with a diverse student population. Further, the selected candidate will have experience with developmental writing and college-level composition. The successful candidate will be committed to teaching in a multi-cultural, two-year environment, and welcome the opportunity to work with students with diverse learning abilities. Montgomery College provides an excellent opportunity to teach in a large, urban community college setting.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Teach 30 semester hours per academic year of courses related to all areas of English that range from developmental writing to college-level composition.
- Teach a varied schedule of courses that may include day, night, early morning, weekend and/or accelerated sections. Opportunities may exist for teaching summer classes.
- Teach courses in a variety of formats ranging from face-to-face to distance and on either campus, when needed.
- Engage students in their learning through active and collaborative learning approaches.
- Meet with students outside of class to assist them with being successful college students.
- Apply culturally relevant pedagogies to the teaching and learning process.
- Advise students on appropriate courses for transfer and degree completion.
- Incorporate the use of educational enterprise platform such as Backboard and other relevant technology into instruction, including inexpensive or no-cost resources in the development and delivery of instruction.
- Serve on, or lead, department, discipline, campus and college committees.
- Maintain an active program of professional development and participate in professional organizations and activities.
- Masters degree in Developmental Education (English or Reading Concentration), Reading, English Composition/Rhetoric, English Education, Secondary education with a concentration in English or closely related field.
- College-level teaching experience in developmental writing, Integrated English and Reading, and/or English Composition/Rhetoric. Candidates must have taught the equivalent of at least 12 semester hours or credit hours in the areas relevant to the position.
- Ability to use word processing programs, basic internet applications, and basic database navigation.
- Ability to use an educational enterprise platform such as Blackboard in instructional delivery.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Attach a cover letter of interest and resume or curriculum vitae to your application. Your letter should specifically address your interest in teaching at Montgomery College, including how you meet the required qualifications and any of the appropriate preferred qualifications.
- Prior to being selected for an interview, you may be required to submit unofficial transcripts to the search committee for review
- Ph. D in English Composition or Rhetoric, or Developmental Education
- At least one year of experience teaching developmental writing, integrated Writing and Reading, or first year composition in higher education
- Demonstration of student engagement strategies that help students succeed in the course
- Demonstrated experience providing feedback which students can use to improve their writing
- Experience supporting students with varying level of preparedness for college-level work.
- Experience using portfolios to assess writing.
- Experience integrating technology into course delivery to enhance student learning.
- Experience teaching writing to a diverse population that includes native and non-native English speakers
- Experience using multi-cultural reading and writing selections in teaching
- Ability to speak more than one language
- Ability and interest in offering courses in a variety of formats including on-line, blended, or OER-based
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Understanding of and commitment to student success including increasing retention, transfer and graduation.
- Online applications must be received by Thursday, September 28, 2017.
To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions, and submit application with a cover letter.
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions and submit a cover letter will result in elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
- Submission of three letters of professional reference
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.