President & CEO, United Way Retirees Association
The United Way Retirees Association (UWRA), which is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, is a national membership organization that enables United Way staff retirees/alumni to connect with each other and the United Way network and provides them with opportunities to use their skills and talents to assist local United Ways in serving their communities.
The President & CEO, an exempt, salaried 30 hour a week position, will report to and collaborate with the Board of Directors to build the membership base, strengthen high value program initiatives and increase the organization’s range of resources to effectively meet the interests and expectations of its members.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Collaborate with the UWRA Board in developing an annual plan, establishing goals for the year, and adopting a supporting budget
- Build strong relationships with the organization’s various constituencies, including its members, United Way network leaders and representatives of special sources of support.
- Engage in program development, management and grant-writing
- Manage annual individual and organizational membership recruitment efforts
- Advance other forms of resource development, including leadership giving, sponsorships/advertising, and endowment building
- Oversee the organization’s operations and finances
United Way Retirees Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
This job description highlights the general nature and level of work to be performed by an individual assuming this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills.
- Experience in supporting Board and/or committee meetings and follow-up activities
- Skills in strategic messaging/marketing
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability in relationship-building
- Demonstrated ability in building revenue and increasing support
- Experience in managing an organization’s operations, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Ability to utilize technology/a range of software programs to enrich program activities and manage the organization’s operations
- Ability to successfully multi-task
- Supervisory experience
Prior United Way experience is preferred.