SUPERVISORY CONSUMER SAFETY OFFICER
This position is located within the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), Office of Medical Policy, Office of Medical Policy Initiatives, in Silver Spring, MD.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CDER-17-MP-1997279 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.Learn more about this agency
Occasional travel - 1 to 2 days a month
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing of the announcement.
5. Pre-employment physical required: No
6. Drug testing required: No
7. License required: No
8. Mobility agreement required: No
9. Time in Grade (TIG) must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
10. A background investigation may be required.
11. Bargaining Unit Position: No
12. Financial disclosure statement required: Yes
Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
Degree: that included at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following: biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours can include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming.
Combination of education and experience -- courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In order to qualify for Supervisory Consumer Safety Officer (Office Director), GS-0696-15, you must meet the following: Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-14 In the Federal service, that includes 1) Demonstrating knowledge of a broad range of policy initiatives and programs; 2) Using analytical methods to develop recommendations that significantly modify major programs and policies and integrate diverse point of views; and 3) Developing policies and procedures to be followed by a highly trained and other professional staff.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from the close of this announcement) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy #4) or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on employment for People with Disabilities please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Career Transition Program: This program applies to Federal workers whose positions have been deemed "surplus" or no longer needed, or an employee who has been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service. To receive selection priority for this position, you must be rated "well-qualified". Well-qualified means eligible applicants whose knowledge, skills, and abilities clearly exceed the minimum qualification requirements of the position. For information on how to apply and what documents to submit as an ICTAP eligible, see: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.aspRead more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating: Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the following quality categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veteran's preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSA's separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the Competencies/KSA's.
1. Planning and Evaluating
2. Advisory Assistant
3. Supervision and Leadership