Grounds Maintenance Worker
Grounds Maintenance Workers (2)
$16.28 - $22.07 per hour
Online applications must be received by Sunday, September 17, 2017.
Montgomery College, Germantown Campus, has a need for 2 full-time, Grounds Maintenance Workers, S13086/S13232, in the Facilities Operations Department. The normal work schedule is below.
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
This position is responsible for Landscape & Green Space Management.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, weeding, pruning, planting of trees, shrubs and flowers along with removal of trees, shrubs and flowers.
- Perform mulching, watering, seeding, laying sod, core aeration and applying lime and fertilizers.
- Maintenance of campus grounds; Trash removal of parking lots and pole cans, inner campus trash cans and grounds along with recycling, bulk trash items, graffiti removal with chemicals, dead animal removal.
- Removal of branches, limbs and fallen trees campus wide. All trash items may contain biohazards materials.
- Maintenance of equipment on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Perform preventive maintenance, oil changes and tune-ups, replace air filters, replace fuel pump filters, serpentine belts and hoses.
- Replace turn signal control devices, parking brake cables, broken mirrors, worn cables, batteries and battery ends.
- Perform snow plow and spreader repairs.
- Maintain all snow removal equipment by replacing pumps, selenoids, hoses and electronic controls.
- Install and repair asphalt with the use of asphalt roller and tamper.
- Install, repair and replacement sign poles and signs.
- Install, repair and replacement traffic control pole.
- During inclement weather; snow and ice removal, keeping the storm and roof drains free of debris to prevent water build up
- Significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and repetitive motions. A combination of walking on even and rough terrain, and carrying objects that range from 1 lbs. to over 100 lbs. with assistance as needed, along with the use of fingers, hands and arms on a daily basis.
- High school diploma or GED and any combination of education, training and/or experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- One (1) year of related experience.
- Working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of lawn equipment, planting and maintenance of plants, flowers, trees, and shrubs.
- Experience operating snow removal equipment such as tractors and trucks with blades.
- Valid drivers license is required and evidence of a good driving record.
- If an incumbent of this class is required to operate a vehicle over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) as part of their assigned duties, in accordance with federal Department of Transportation motor carrier regulations (49 CFR), the incumbent must possess and maintain at all times a valid Class B (or equivalent) Commercial Driver's License (CDL) from the applicant's state of residence, with mandatory endorsements if applicable.
- Knowledge of the methods, procedures and techniques of grounds maintenance work: tools, equipment, and materials used; and hazard/safety precautions.
- Knowledge of plant, tree, shrub, flower care and identification.
- Knowledge of the operation/use of small engines and performing minor repairs.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), the Internet and College applications may be required.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy duty grounds maintenance work.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others, communicate effectively (verbally and in writing), and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Eligible applicants must currently be
authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa
- Online applications must be received by Sunday, September 17, 2017.
To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment.
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions (Step 4); and
- E-sign your application. (Step 9)
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions or to e-sign your application will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the
following are required at the time of hire
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
at least two weeks
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.