DIRECTOR OF INTERNAL AUDIT
Collectively, the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), International Potato Center (CIP), International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), Bioversity International seeks a seasoned Director of Internal Audit to lead a regional internal audit unit encompassing the North/South America and Western Europe region (IAAE). IFPRI, CIP, CIAT and Bioversity are 4 of 15 members of the CGIAR, which is a global agricultural research partnership for a food secure future.
The regional internal audit unit will provide independent assurance and strategic advice designed to add value and improve center operations. The Director will be responsible for the strategic direction of IAAE and ensure that IAAE business objectives are met, resources are employed efficiently and effectively, and that audit work conforms to international professional standards. The Director will report functionally to the Center boards and Director General of the 4 participating CGIAR Centers.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience providing service to multiple clients in a decentralized structure and have a relevant professional degree and fifteen years of experience, including significant international exposure. S/he will be an excellent communicator and willing to travel extensively.
This is a three year, exempt, fixed-term, renewable appointment based at IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington, DC, and will involve frequent travel.
- Refresh and maintain the overall Business Plan for IAAE, including audit work schedules, staffing plans and financial budgets;
- Implement a risk based internal audit program approved by the respective Center Boards,
- Coordinate the audit efforts to ensure adequate and cost effective risk based audit coverage, and minimize duplicate audit efforts;
- Undertake Center specific internal audits in accordance with Board approved internal audit work plans and issue timely and constructive reports;
- Coordinate audits with other regional CGIAR internal audit units as needed;
- Maintain a quality assurance program to evaluate internal audit operations and performance;
- Maintain professional and administrative policies and procedures to guide IAAE staff;
- Share good practice and other publicly available products beneficial to Centers;
- Manage the relationship between IAAE and the Center management and Boards.
- University level academic qualification, plus CA or CPA professional certification;
- At least 15 years relevant experience, including 8 years in management role in multi-donor environment;
- Ability to plan, conduct and manage audits, in accordance with international professional standards;
- Broad knowledge of internal control and risk management frameworks and concepts;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, together with proven ability to deliver clear, logical and succinct presentations and written reports and correspondence. Proficiency in Spanish is highly desirable;
- Ability to provide authoritative, professional advice and assistance to senior executives, managers and staff, in a constructive manner;
- Ability to inspire a team of professionals to aim for and deliver excellence;
- Excellent inter-personal skills, including ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural environment within the internal audit unit and within client Centers;
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills, and detail orientation;
- Willingness to be “hands on” manager as needed;
- CGIAR work experience desirable;
- Willingness to undertake a significant amount of travel.
IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition. The Institute conducts research, communicates results, optimizes partnerships, and builds capacity to ensure sustainable food production, promote healthy food systems, improve markets and trade, transform agriculture, build resilience, and strengthen institutions and governance. Gender is considered in all of the Institute’s work. IFPRI collaborates with partners around the world, including development implementers, public institutions, the private sector, and farmers’ organizations. IFPRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium.