Finance Manager (NON-PROFIT)
Manages the general accounting and financial reporting operations of the NRA Foundation and NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund.
- Ensures the timely and accurate completion of monthly financial statements and related analytical review. Manages the month-end close processes, including oversight of calendar deadlines, review of all prepared journal entries and reconciliations, preparation/review of financial statement fluctuation analysis comparing actual results to prior year and budget expectations, and resolution of any unexpected results.
- Ensures processes are developed and maintained to support accurate and timely reporting of Friends of NRA fundraising financial results and inventory balances. Oversees Assistant Accounting Manager in responsibilities related to Friends of NRA financial activity and proper recording in the NRA Foundation’s financial accounting system.
- Ensures process are developed and maintained to support accurate and timely processing of the NRA Foundation’s and NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund’s accounts payable functions, including verifying the proper preparation and authorization of check requests, possession of Form W-9s, and proper account coding. Reviews and verifies all disbursements in conjunction with cash availability reports and projections.
- Manages incorporation of intercompany transactions with NRA and/or its affiliates in the NRA Foundation’s and/or NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund’s financial reporting. Guides staff in researching and resolving any discrepancies as necessary.
- Manages and reviews preparation and submission of all Foundation sales and use tax filings, and related license applications and renewals.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates accounting staff in the accurate, timely completion of routine daily/monthly responsibilities. Prepares employee performance reviews in accordance with Human Resources policy.
- Prepares and/or oversees preparation of quarterly and other periodic financial report packages for timely distribution to the NRA Foundation’s and NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund’s Board of Trustees, as requested by management.
- Responsible for preparation of year-end financial statements, notes and work-papers for annual audits with the external auditors. Coordinates auditor requests with appropriate level of accounting staff and with other NRA department personnel as needed. Assists in preparation of annual reports.
- Assists in the preparation of the Foundation Form 990 and associated state filings.
- Oversees preparation of Foundation W-2G, 1099, 1096 and 945 filings.
- Assists with Foundation record retention processes and ensures adherence to established procedures.
- Stays current with not-for-profit accounting and disclosure issues. Maintains policies and procedures manuals.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
Extensive interaction with NRA Foundation, NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund and key NRA personnel, as well as members of the financial community. High work volume is deadline sensitive. Strong time management skills are necessary. Occasional travel required. Position requires overtime at peak times, as necessary to meet established deadlines.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
B.S. in accounting and a minimum of eight years accounting experience, including a minimum of three years in nonprofit accounting management and/or supervising nonprofit engagements. CPA preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of accounting procedures and principles. Excellent oral and written communication and organization skills required. Fully skilled in use of personal computers, spreadsheet software, and financial accounting systems. Microsoft Dynamics SL experience beneficial, but not required.
To apply, please send resume with cover letter and salary expectations (REQUIRED) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The NRA is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer (minority/women/disabled). Please visit careers.nra.org to learn more about working for us.