The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The National Academies Press (NAP) was created by the National Academies to publish the reports issued by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine, and the National Research Council, all operating under a charter granted by the Congress of the United States. NAP publishes over 200 books a year on a wide range of topics in science, engineering, and health, capturing the most authoritative views on important issues in science and health policy. The institutions represented by NAP are unique in that they attract the nation's leading experts in every field to serve on their blue ribbon panels and committees.
The primary responsibility for this position will be trafficking and managing freelance designers. This includes acting as a liaison between customers and freelancers designers, managing due dates and budgets and understanding design requirements for both print and online products.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Manages layout process for manuscripts. Sets and changes priorities with department staff and outside consultants depending on changing deadlines and urgent work.
2. Independently determines schedules and priorities for composition department. Executes layout and design. Interacts with all levels of staff to solve problems with content, schedules, and quality.
3. Evaluates the performance and supervises the work of a Composition, Design, & Graphics Specialist. Trains assigned staff. Offers input on personnel decisions such as hiring, recommending disciplinary actions and termination.
4. Matches complexity of each project with the abilities of in-house staff or outside vendor for best fit according to schedule requirements.
5. Reviews files from operating units including graphics and text. Enters corrections and revisions and proofreads material for accuracy and completeness, applying knowledge of department terminology and organization practices.
6. Coordinates PDF file preparation between pre-press completion and required Internet posting dates.
7. Prepares files from operating unit word processing file. Converts files into Adobe Acrobat pdf.
8. May operate desktop publishing equipment and utilize integrated software packages to complete various assignments. Produces various types of presentations, such as word processing documents, slides, charts, graphs, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge or experience with Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator on Macintosh and/or PC platforms. Knowledge or experience in HTML, and CSS. Knowledge of both web design and the printing process. Ability to solve intellectual problems through selection and application of commonly used rules, procedures, and precedents. Ability to work successfully in a team environment and to form and maintain effective teams. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Good oral communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with most levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.