Health Policy Associate
The purpose of this position is to support ASHA members and the work of the Heath Care Economics and Advocacy Team through providing technical assistance to members regarding reimbursement, health policy and coding. Educating members and conducting research and analysis in general health care policy is also an aspect of the position.
The incumbent will be directly responsible for monitoring federal communications and identifying important issues and opportunities for advocacy related to federal agencies with a focus on health care including but not limited to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and related contractors, the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (CCIIO), and the Department of Health and Human Services. The health policy associate will be responsible for assisting with initial analysis and drafting of regulatory comments and member education materials on a wide range of topics relevant to audiology and speech-language pathology practice. Assistance with editing and review of team materials will also be a responsibility.
The Health Policy Associate will answer increasingly complex technical assistance questions as their experience grows and triage calls on those requiring additional expertise to the most appropriate team member and/or work collaboratively with them to craft responses that include detailed technical policy guidance.
- Provide a direct and primary contact for ASHA members within the Health Care Economics and Advocacy Team in order to support member needs for technical assistance and detailed information related to coding, reimbursement and other aspects of health policy (i.e. quality reporting, HIPAA, appeals, etc.)
- Monitor federal communications including the Federal Register and other sources to identify opportunities for advocacy in support of ASHA member and client interests.
- Conduct initial analysis and assist in the development of comments and recommendations for advocacy in support of ASHA members and clients in collaboration with Directors within the team.
- Assist and support the Directors in the Health Care Economics and Advocacy Team with researching policy trends, drafting comments and providing recommendations on advocacy opportunities and challenges.
- Attend and report on meetings related to health care policy such as those held by the Institute of Medicine, the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, the Better Medicare Alliance and other influential groups. Prepare related reports for team members analyzing the substance of the meetings as well as identifying potential follow-up activities.
- Assist team members with managing committee calls and assisting in facilitating and coordinating health policy meetings of staff and member volunteers.
- Engage, educate, and equip ASHA members for practice management and grassroots regulatory advocacy related to health care policy through drafting advocacy materials, web content, social media and other outlets.
- Develop expertise and leadership for a portfolio of issues as needed to support and supplement the scope of the overall work of the Health Care Economics and Advocacy Team over time.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, social science, public policy, public health, communication disorders, or related field,
- Experience with health care policy and/or coding and reimbursement issues
- Two or more years of related professional experience
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated understanding regulatory policy processes, experience interacting with federal agencies and a broad general knowledge of health and other disability related issues
- Demonstrated ability to successfully analyze and communicate details of regulatory, coding and reimbursement policies
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated success at and commitment to collaborative teamwork and a creative approach to work
- Demonstrated ability to achieve consensus when opposing viewpoints are presented
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple tasks and complete work under pressure and time constraints
- Excellent writing, oral and interpersonal skills