Heavy Equipment Operator
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
SEWERS PROGRAM / STREETS PROGRAM
"Preserving the Past, while Innovating our Future!"
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Heavy Equipment Operator position.
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
A Heavy Equipment Operator operates heavy, multi-purpose equipment with complex controls requiring a high degree of skill and manipulative ability. The work in this class requires considerable skill, especially in constructing grades and in operating heavy equipment efficiently to avoid stopping the progress of related operations.Tasks are performed under the general supervision of a Labor Supervisor or a Superintendent.
What You Should Bring
Thorough knowledge of standard practices, methods and materials used in street and drain construction and maintenance activities, including some knowledge of drainage and maintaining proper grades; thorough knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of each of a variety of pieces of heavy construction equipment; thorough knowledge of the proper methods of transporting heavy loads and load limits; good knowledge of traffic and safety rules and accident prevention practices; skill in the operation of heavy, multi-purpose motor equipment under all types of weather conditions; ability to make minor repairs and adjustments to heavy equipment; physical ability to perform job tasks under all types of weather conditions; and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing; and ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Operates multi-purpose equipment in laying storm drains;
- Operates a tandem axle dump truck;
- Operates a rubber tire loader to load truck with materials;
- Operates gradall, crane, bulldozer, track loader, front-end loader & backhoe;
- Assists Maintenance Division or Street Cleaning Section by operating heavy equipment or refuse collection vehicle;
- Assists Assistant Superintendents in performance of daily program monitoring duties;
- Operates a ten-wheel dump truck in the operation of snow plowing, and de-icing;
- Operates five kinds of street sweepers in a scheduled sweeping program
- Leads a crew in special clean up details;
- Fills-in for Assistant Superintendent or Superintendent of Street Cleaning as needed;
- Trains subordinates in equipment operation; and Performs related work as required.
About the Department
The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) strives to improve the overall quality of life within the City of Alexandria through the development of a superior infrastructure. In order to contribute to the physical, social and economic growth of the City of Alexandria, the T&ES employee team provides services of the highest quality in the areas of engineering, environmental quality, traffic control, transit, construction, inspection and surveying, street, sewer and fire hydrant maintenance, and refuse and recycling collection.
Minimum & Additional Requirements
High School Diploma or GED; three (3) years of experience in the operation of heavy equipment; one (1) year of supervisory experience; thorough knowledge of the proper methods of transporting heavy loads and load limits, traffic safety rules and accident prevention practices; or any equivalent combination of 4 (four) years of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Skills in the operation of heavy multi-purpose motor equipment under all types of weather conditions.
Additional Requirements: Possession of a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with the proper endorsements in the state of residency.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to drug testing, criminal background.