Unix System Engineer III
Unix System Engineer
Under minimal supervision, performs high-level design, evaluation, integration, documentation, systems analysis, and implementation of complex application architecture that require a thorough knowledge of administrative and technical skills. Participates in all phases of system development with emphasis on planning, analysis, evaluation, integration, testing and acceptance phases (IV&V and DT&E). Applies higher-level business and technical principles and methods to very difficult technical problems to arrive at automated engineering solutions. Engineer will have broad knowledge of UNIX and Linux implementations to include one or both of the following: Senior level technical expert in Solaris or Red-Hat Enterprise Linux in a predominantly virtualized environment. Engineer will be responsible for evaluating patch management and processor optimization, as well as advice on Oracle Domains and zones. Engineer will document and standardize UNIX system design and deployment.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
- Perform all aspects of Engineering Lifecycle with regards to Solaris and Linux based systems.
- Perform Engineering design of UNIX based infrastructure based on defined Systems Engineering principles and best practice.
- Develops detailed automation and documentation for operational use of UNIX systems and services.
- Design, implement, and maintain central configuration management tools such as: Puppet, Satellite, RHN, Spacewalk, etc.
- Provide technical leadership on existing infrastructure, including hardware, software and operating systems in a large scale, geographically distributed, enterprise environment including database, web, and middle ware.
- Mentor more junior team members.
- Maintains operating systems, software and hardware to the most current DISA approved software levels to maintain a hardened, secure computing environment.
- Technical leadership, demonstrated experience with the monitoring tools, effective planning and coordination skills, ability to build effective relationships, and strong communication skills are all required.
- Effective communication style both orally and written, interacting professionally with the internal and external teams.
- Work with hardware and software vendors to evaluate new solutions.
- Solid understanding of networking principles, design, and protocols
- Ability to diagnose and resolve technical problems and speak fluently to management regarding solutions and options for problem resolution.
- Strong organizational, and project planning and execution skills to include cross team coordination.
- Performs other duties as required.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Personal computer, printers, network equipment and other general office equipment
Works in a general office environment.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Must be able to lift/push/pull 25 lbs.
Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
Education: Preferred Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
Graduate of military or technical courses in the field of Information Technology preferred.
This position requires DoDI 8570.01-M IAT II certification and corresponding Computing Environment certification.
6 years of career experience in UNIX Systems administration. 4 years in the operation, installation, support, and administration of
multiplatform UNIX systems administration; Solaris experience; RedHat experience; experience supporting large scale Oracle databases and application tier on a UNIX platform; experience with some of the following: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Yum, CFEngine, Satellite, Java, LDAP, Scripting, and Oracle Database.
- Able and willing to perform other duties as needed, as skills and program require.
- Must pass an ASI-administered background check, a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI), or a National Agency Check with Inquiries and Credit (NACIC) and/or a Minimum Background Investigation (MBI).