Manager, Benefits and Compensation
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION MANAGER
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International (CI) is seeking a Manager, Benefits & Compensation who will lead the design, implementation and administration of all US and Expat employee benefit programs. These benefits include all of the following: vacation, holidays, sick leave, health and welfare plans, voluntary benefit plans, short & long-term disability, life insurance, retirement programs and leaves of absence. The Manager evaluates programs through research, surveys, and analysis of benefit trends to ensure plans are competitive and current and leads the open enrollment process. The Manager will provide a high level of service to benefits eligible employees, including executives, as the main point of contact for US employees and Expats for benefit enrollments, terminations and claims.
The successful candidate will enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and providing support to both the US HR team and our global HR Business Partners. The Benefits & Compensation Manager is primarily supervised by the Director, Global Human Resources Systems & Benefits located in Headquarters in Arlington, VA, and will have a dotted line supervision with the Senior Director of Compensation. This position is an integral member of the Global HR Operations team.
For US and Expat Benefits, the Manager, Benefits & Compensation interprets and ensures compliance with local, state and federal regulations, and partners with all Benefits Vendors to review and administer Benefits plans for staff. S/he will manage audits and compliance related filings such as 5500, Non- Discrimination Testing, 403b audit, and lead the process in creating and distributing Benefit and Compensation statements to all US and IA benefit eligible employees on an annual basis. The Manager will oversee and maintain any amendments to plan documents, summary plan descriptions, vendor contracts and maintain employee benefit data within HR systems including payroll deductions, transfer of data to external vendors and plan providers.
Internationally, the Manager evaluates CI’s offerings against required and customary benefits offerings and makes recommendations to CI regarding plan changes to ensure equity across programs and to make CI a more competitive employer. The Manager partners with regional HR partners, local Ops leads, and outside counsel if necessary.
In addition, the Manager will assist the Sr. Director of Compensation in any Compensation Surveys, pay band updates, analysis, and reporting, as well as updates to the Intranet SharePoint site for both Benefits and Compensation related information.
- Subject matter expert for all US and Expat staff with regards to Benefits and Leave offerings.
- Lead orientation presentation for Benefits. Provide strategic and administrative direction and management for all plans.
- Review plan designs to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Make recommendations for changes and implement agreed-to modifications..
- Support Sr. Director, Compensation with global Compensation plans, Surveys, and analysis.
- Update internal Intranet/SharePoint Benefits and Compensation sites as needed.
- Process vendor invoices and report benefit cost information as needed.
- Prepare and monitor fringe benefit budget.
- Comply with benefits reporting and filing requirements.
Benefits Open Enrollment and Communications:
- Design/prepare ongoing benefits offerings and communications (e.g. health and welfare plans; financial planning, etc.).
- Work closely with brokers and vendors on plan design and implementation.
- Manage renewal and open enrollment process for the US and Expats.
- Benefits Reporting and Statements:
- Manage audits and compliance related filings such as 5500, Non- Discrimination Testing, 403b audit, etc. annually.
- Develop, create and distribute benefit statements to all US and Expats benefit eligible employees on an annual basis.
- Prepare all IRSP Retirement Statements for International Staff, and distribute annually and as vested staff terminate.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Normal office environment.
- This employee will interact on a daily basis with internal and external clients of the organization.
- This position requires attention and respect of confidential information.
- Bachelor’s degree required with at least 5 years experience in benefits design and management. An equivalent combination of related education and work experience may be substituted.
- Knowledge of US benefits regulations and reporting requirements such as ADA, COBRA, ERISA, FMLA, HIPAA, 5500 reporting.
- Experience developing and implementing benefits in a global environment.
- Desire to take ownership of benefit programs and continually find innovative ways to improve them.
- Ability to interpret and analyze benefit cost information.
- Proficiency in English, Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and reconcile accurate data in HR/Payroll systems.
- Strong computer skills including HRIS experience, MS Office with intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel.
- Excellent organizational abilities to handle multiple tasks, establish priorities, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Superior interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documents.
- Ability to problem-solve and propose process improvements.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to details.
- Experience with HR related systems (ADP WorkForce Now, or comparable).
- Previous NGO experience.
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter and references.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "accommodation" in the subject line.