Government Relations Fellow
Mission: The U.S. Soccer Foundation, the Major Charitable Arm of Soccer in the United States, was established in 1994. Using soccer as a vehicle for youth development and social change, the U.S. Soccer Foundation seeks to improve the health and well-being of children in urban underserved communities. The U.S. Soccer Foundation is located in Washington, D.C. For more information, visit www.ussoccerfoundation.org
Job Summary: The U.S. Soccer Foundation seeks a Fellow to assist the Expansion Team. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Strategic Partnerships this position will help carry out the Foundation’s national and local governmental relations strategy, as well as support the development of partnerships that will help the Foundation reach it’s 10-year strategic vision.
The ideal candidate will have a background in public policy and interest in learning about the interworking of a non-profit and how different sectors work together to scale innovative solutions.
- Background/ interest in Public Policy or social entrepreneurship is a plus
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work on assignments with a wide range of staff
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment
- Must be available to work evenings/weekends
- Must be available to travel as required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; mail merges; e-mail and web searches
- Experience with Salesforce (CRM) is a plus
- A bachelor’s degree
Duties and Responsibilities:
Government Relations —
- Update the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s Congressional Agenda
- Work closely with the Congressional Soccer Caucus around hill related events and local site visits
- Help coordinate content based briefings that will educate the hill audience around important issues surrounding mentorship, health and wellness, and the built environment
- Attend and participate in coalition meetings
- Develop materials that can be used for monthly Hill newsletters
- Identify and prospect municipal partnership opportunities
- Coordinating a government relations calendar
Government Relations Events-
- Helping Foundation staff implement government events locally (Hill Day and the Congressional Soccer Game)
- Assist in the creation of materials for the Hill Day and the Congressional Soccer Game
- Help coordinate event staffing, ensuring adequate coverage (e.g., staffing the registration table, stewarding special guests, etc.)
- Support the recruitment of Members of Congress for the Congressional Soccer Game
Strategic Growth -
- Supporting the prospecting of national, state and local entities that can become partners in scaling efforts (hospital systems, youth development organizations, government entities, etc.)
- Entering leads and background information into Salesforce
- Developing materials that will be used to steward partnerships
- Developing reports that will be shared with strategic growth partners
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and at least two (2) references to email@example.com noting the position name in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate the date you are available to start.