The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
The position is located at Fort Belvoir Community Hospital in Fort Belvoir, VA, in the Directorate for Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation, Orthopaedic Clinic. The work encompasses a complete spectrum of auxiliary practice of general emergency and family medicine in pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients in specialty areas such as orthopaedic care. The work involves prolonged periods of standing and bending to diagnose and treat patient illnesses and/or injuries, as well as fine motor skills. Surgery requires a high degree of manual dexterity and muscle strength to hold a position for an extended length of time and to operate specialized equipment in the operating room. Lifting and positioning patients on the operating room table is also required. Incumbent may be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases. Appropriate precautions must be taken to prevent the spread of disease.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Occasional travel - Business travel of two percent is required for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position requires you to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
- This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated position (TDP).
- This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
Education: Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education.
Certification: Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience: At least one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service which includes assessing patients medical status; conducting physical examinations; recording case histories; ordering laboratory tests; prescribing medication; and assisting physicians in the operating room with a variety of orthopaedic surgeries. This definition of experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to verify that you meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.