Executive Officer, National Science Board
This announcement has been amended to extend the closing date to September 15, 2017.
Please DO NOT USE the APPLY ONLINE BUTTON when applying for this announcement. Your application material should be sent to the email address indicated in the How To Apply section below.
NSF is relocating to Alexandria, Virginia. In late summer of 2017, NSF will begin the transition from its current location in Arlington, Virginia to 2415 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314. The new location is adjacent to a Metro Station (Eisenhower Avenue on the Yellow Line) and there is ample parking in the area. There are several amenities nearby, such as restaurants, hotels, and shops.
Become a part of our mission to maintain and strengthen the vitality of the US science and engineering enterprise. For over 60 years, the National Science Foundation (NSF) has remained the premier Federal agency supporting basic research at the frontiers of discovery across all fields, as well as science and engineering education at all levels. The Senior Executive Service (SES) covers managerial positions above GS-15 in the Federal Service. Persons appointed to the SES are eligible for health benefits, life insurance, social security, Federal retirement and thrift savings plan coverage, and participate in the Federal leave system. Career appointees are eligible for bonuses based on performance in addition to base pay. Competitive status is not required, veteran's preference does not apply and there are no grade restrictions. New appointees to the SES are required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Final selection of career appointees requires the approval of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM). OPM approval will be based on the selectee's background in the following five executive core qualification areas: (1) Leading Change, (2) Leading People, (3) Results Driven Leadership, (4) Business Acumen, and (5) Building Coalitions. These areas are incorporated in the five executive/managerial requirements for the position. Information about the leadership requirements for SES-level positions is available on the OPM website.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation may be paid contingent upon availability of funds.
1. Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience or a combination of education and equivalent experience in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM), and broad knowledge of and high-level experience with Federal science, engineering and education policy and practices.
2. Demonstrated ability to work with program representatives from government and international agencies, professional societies, and the science community as demonstrated by the ability to represent policies and objectives to Congress, Office of Management and Budget, Office of Science Technology and Policy, the public and other stakeholders.
3. Demonstrated skills in oral and written communication, including the ability to engage in high-level negotiation and collaboration on complex situations involving diverse parties and interests.
4. Demonstrated experience in managing employees ranging from Ph.D. level scientists and high-level professionals to administrative support staff.
5. Demonstrated ability to work directly with top government officials including Presidential Appointees.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
1. Leading Change. Demonstrated ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Includes the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Competencies: creativity and innovative, external awareness, flexibility, resilience, strategic thinking, vision)
2. Leading People. Demonstrated ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Includes the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Competencies: conflict management, leveraging diversity, developing others, team building)
3. Results-Driven Leadership. Demonstrated ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Includes the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Competencies: accountability,customer service, decisiveness, entrepreneurship, problem solving, technical ability)
4. Business Acumen. Demonstrated ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Competencies: financial management, human capital management, technology management)
5. Building Coalitions. Demonstrated ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, non-profit or private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Competencies: partnering, political savvy, influencing/negotiating)
To meet the minimum qualifications requirements for this position, you must show that you possess all of the Executive Core Qualifications, Professional/Technical Qualifications and education requirements listed. These qualifications would typically be acquired through education, senior level experience, and training which reflect progressive development and achievement in leading and managing a comprehensive program in a complex organization. An individual’s total experience must demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of the position. It is not necessary to address the ECQ individually at this time, but if selected, the applicant will be required to submit a written narrative to address the ECQs. The narrative must address each ECQ separately and should contain at least two examples per ECQ describing your experiences and accomplishments/results. The narrative must not exceed 10 pages. Applicants must meet all of the qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Applicants currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by OPM are not required to address the Executive/Managerial Qualifications (ECQs/EMs); but a narrative statement for each of the Mandatory Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs) is required.
If you do not possess the above requirements, you will be rated ineligible.
For detailed guidance on ECQs, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Executive Qualifications.
You must submit all required information by the closing date. Failure to address the MANDATORY P/Ts will result in your application being disqualified.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will be screened for basic eligibility according to the MANDATORY qualification requirements. Eligible applicants will be reviewed by an Evaluation Panel and ranked based on the qualification requirements. The best qualified candidates will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, physical disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit reason.
To preview questions please click here.