Asst Director, Vet Initiatives
6 days left
- Full Time
Assistant Director of Veterans Initiatives
Department of Stateside Military Operations
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 2.1
University of Maryland University College seeks an Assistant Director of Veterans Initiatives in the Department of Stateside Military Operations. Reporting to the Director, Veterans Initiatives and Outreach, the Assistant Director will be responsible for carrying out specific projects and initiatives outlined in the veterans recruitment and retention strategy; collaborating with various departments within the university and the national veterans community to increase awareness and sensitivity to issues concerning veterans; creating an encouraging and supportive environment by acknowledging, honoring, and addressing veterans' unique needs; forging partnerships with third party organizations to build a comprehensive suite of services beyond the scope of education; building relationships with the local community to secure support for the Veterans Resource Center (VRC).
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Carrying out initiatives that focus on new veteran student recruitment, support and retention in support of the overall UMUC growth strategy. (25%)
- Coordinates activities, promotional efforts, and outreach for the VRC. (15%)
- Daily operation of the Veterans Resource Center (VRC), MIL-VET Checkpoint, SALUTE and Veterans Success Club. (15%)
- Works with student veterans to facilitate a successful transition to civilian life. (15%)
- Developing and maintaining relationships with Veteran Service Organizations (VSOs) and other veterans' organizations external to UMUC. (10%)
- Support the Stateside Military Operation Veteran Related Social Media Strategy (10%)
- Working with UMUC stakeholder departments to establish new programs that lead to employment opportunities for student veterans. (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (5%)
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher learning. Three (3) years of experience of either working at an institution of higher learning or other similar experience.
The successful candidate will have the demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with various stake holders, think creatively, and generate student engagement. Candidates must possess strong organization skills, the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, attention to detail and the ability to work in a team environment or independently. Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) and Google required. Public speaking and travel are required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Experience in veterans educational benefits preferred. Military experience preferred. Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain students.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.