Financial Associate - HMD Finance Office
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Health and Medicine Division (HMD) is a division of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (The National Academies). HMD’s aim is to help those in government and the private sector make informed health decisions by providing evidence upon which they can rely. HMD previously was the Institute of Medicine (IOM) program unit of the National Academies.
Prepares budget estimates and projections based on actual performance, previous budget figures, estimated revenue, expense reports, and other factors. Reviews expenditures to ensure conformance to budget and other compliance requirements. Maintains records of expenses and budget balances and reconciles monthly financial reports. Prepares and audits vouchers and expenses. Analyzes expenditures and revenues, overruns or underruns, and compiles regular and special statistical reports for internal and external customers.
Under general direction, incumbent applies specific professional-level functional knowledge to solve problems requiring the identification and analysis of moderately complex variables. Takes action to solve problems/issues that routinely arise in areas of assigned responsibility, but may receive guidance or expertise from higher-level staff on more complex problems. Has authority to deviate from standard practices, but is required to advise superiors of action and must inform superiors of non-routine situations.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Prepares financial projections. Analyzes projection data and provides analysis and recommendations to the responsible officer and/or director.
2. Runs PeopleSoft financial reports and reconciles monthly financial statements and obligated costs. Prepares financial and budget analyses and discusses with staff. Works with staff to prevent overruns. Monitors program fiscal operations to ensure that expenses are in compliance with auditing requirements, contractual obligations, budgetary limitations, federal and sponsor regulations, and National Academies’ policies and procedures. Briefs staff on financial and contractual activities. Brings to the attention of staff potential problems and irregularities. Reviews and tracks invoice vouchers, travel expense reports, purchase orders, consulting agreements, temporary help request, hotel contracts, per diem waiver requests, and time and attendance reports. Analyzes data for trends. Monitors project activity balances. Prepares payroll and cost transfers.
3. Updates financial projections for all projects. Imports or enters monthly inception-to-date amounts, current salary charges, and obligations. Revises current fiscal year estimates and future estimated costs as needed. Meets with staff to update projections, resolve problems, and anticipate and plan for future needs.
4. Prepares monthly financial reports and performs analyses. Creates budget databases to assist in development of reports. Prepares database queries and ad-hoc reports.
5. Manages contractual matters for assigned units/subunits. Reviews proposed sponsor agreements and contracts. Assesses potential contractual problems, spending limits, deliverables, reporting requirements. Provides instruction to staff on contract documents and requirements. Prepares budgets and contract documents for new and current projects. Arranges for extensions and continuation of current contracts and grants. Serves as a liaison with the Office of Contracts and Grants, coordinating contract matters with Contract Managers. Revises and/or provides documentation as requested by sponsors. Answer sponsor inquiries.
6. Develops budget estimates. Prepares “what if” projections, cost impact analysis, budgets for potential projects, and new budgets to request additional funding. Prepares required federal, sponsor, and private sector financial reports. Prepares monthly labor distribution reports and other reports as requested.
7. Reconciles monthly credit cards expenses. Ensures that all expenses are properly documented and approved. Ensures that the expenses are correctly coded, documentation are attached and approved in the PeopleSoft Credit Card Module
8. Investigates and resolves outstanding financial issues.
9. Meets independently with responsible staff officers, and project staff to assist in the financial management of sponsored activities.
10. Addresses requests from auditors, and prepares and forwards information as appropriate.
11. Orients new staff to financial projections, contract requirements, and the financial management system. Maintains files for program contract information, financial statements, vouchers, and labor distribution data.
12. Assists with the implementation of new systems and procedures. Serves as a resource to staff concerning financial matters. Assists in training new staff on administrative and accounting rules.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Thorough knowledge of accounting and financial principles and OMB Circulars. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel. Ability to solve both routine and complex problems through selection and application of commonly used rules, procedures, and precedents. Ability to operate with appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.