Sentara Healthcare is currently recruiting for a Vice President of Operations Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (SNGH). This position will report to the COO, SNGH. Responsible for the direction/coordination of the business and operational activities of departments assigned. As a member of the SNGH executive team, this position is responsible for the direction and oversight of system Laboratory Services, SNGH Facility Services, SNGH Environmental Services, and SNGH Emergency Department. Develop and foster effective collaboration between departments, other divisions, medical staff leadership, and other affiliated services (inside and outside of the hospitals) to ensure an integrated approach to providing services, and fulfilling the mission, market, medicine and members of the team goals and objectives.
Accountable for the overall success of the areas of assigned responsibility. Lead and oversee the development of operating and strategic plans for these areas. Attention is to be given to patient satisfaction, systems improvement, program development, quality and safety, fiscal management, compliance and clinical measures, physician relationships, outreach strategies, work culture enhancement and internal communication and consensus-building. He/she will ensure that Sentara's resources are focused on optimally satisfying the health care needs of those we serve. Provide administrative direction to direct reports by applying specialized and technical knowledge in the implementation and execution of the planned programs while ensuring Sentara's mission and strategic direction is followed.
Coordinate the determinations of fiscal requirements of assigned departments and review budgetary recommendations; monitor, verify and reconcile expenditure of budgeted funds. Develop new business strategies to enhance market share and improve overall performance. Develops and monitors current and projected capital and operating budgets, initiating corrective action when substandard financial performance occurs. Ensures that efforts are maximized to control costs of patient care through continuous evaluation of appropriate resource allocation. Achieve or exceed the hospital's financial plans.
Ensures that hospital facilities are adequate to allow for the implementation of its programs and services. Recommends improvement of hospital facilities, including construction and/or renovation of structures and purchase of new equipment. Demonstrates effective leadership skills by maintaining high employee satisfaction and low employee turnover rates. Establishes and maintains a system of evaluating the effectiveness and performance of direct reports. Maintains liaison relationships between hospital management staff, medical, and other healthcare related organizations in order to foster cooperative relationships and establish control systems for the most effective operation of Sentara Healthcare. Communicate openly and effectively internally and externally with a wide variety of individuals to ensure that their needs are being met and that the reputation of the company is enhanced, while maintaining strict confidentiality.
· Demonstrated track record of leadership skills.
· Strength in human resources, communications, and interactions with employees, physicians, and peers.
· Thinks strategically about the marketplace and internal capabilities.
· Successfully aligns the right talent with meaningful roles.
· Provides clarity in setting goals and priorities.
· Demonstrates leader maturity, self awareness, and builds a cohesive team through trust
Master's Level Degree
. Minimum 10 years hospital or healthcare related operations experience in leadership/administration within a complex organization with demonstrated experience in:
· Program and business development, strong physician relationships, change management skills, and good interpersonal skills.
· Planning, organizing, staffing, directing and evaluating healthcare and management activities of hospital.
· Requires excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Position based at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Executive team assumes responsibility for administrator on-call on a rotating basis, system-wide projects, etc.
· Strong orientation toward client service, quality improvement, teambuilding, and profitability.
· Demonstrated ability to excel in a business development capacity.
· Proven ability to select good people and create a productive environment that promotes initiative, innovation, and continual learning.
None, unless noted in the “Other” section below
Required: Complex Problem Solving, Judgment and Decision Making, Mgmt of Financial Resources, Mgmt of Staff Resources, Service Orientation, Social Perceptiveness, Speaking, Writing
Preferred: None, unless noted in the “Other” section below
Responsibility for administrator on-call on a rotating basis.