ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL
6 days left
- Full Time
For additional information about this opportunity, or to be considered further, please contact Major, Lindsey & Africa SentaraCounsel@mlaglobal.com
The Counsel reports to the General Counsel and will provide legal support for the various facilities owned or managed by Sentara. The person in this position must have a comfort level with healthcare's regulatory framework and reimbursement programs, with particular skills in drafting a variety of contracts particular to a health system, developing policies, advising staff and management on legal issues, and regulatory and administrative matters.
- Negotiate service agreements, physician agreements, pharma agreements, clinical lab agreements and other typical provider agreements.
- Provide legal counsel to middle management, senior management and executives on complex and legal issues.
- Counsel leaders and management on changes in law.
- Understand issues arising from provider relationships.
- Perform transactional work and review with a focus on structures and arrangements that present risk under state and federal healthcare laws.
- Provide general healthcare advice on compliance, regulatory and physician relationship issues, including advice on the False Claims Act, beneficiary inducement, Stark, Anti-Kickback, HIPAA, EMTALA and tax-exempt status.
- Draft, review, and negotiate service agreements with healthcare providers.
- Coordinate with other members of the Sentara legal and compliance teams on regulatory, risk, compliance, and operational issues.
- Provide accurate updates and reporting on organizational risks to managers.
- Involve outside counsel as needed and manage outside counsel.
- Handle multiple legal matters in collaboration with other attorneys and paraprofessionals.
Graduation from an accredited school of law with a strong academic record and in good standing as a member of the Virginia State Bar. If not a member of the Virginia State Bar, the individual must have the ability to be admitted to the Virginia State Bar.
• 8+ years of experience in healthcare law.
• Ideally, both in-house experience and foundational training obtained in a
reputable law firm.
• Health law transactional experience with health systems and health plans.
• Understanding and experience with relevant health care compliance
issues (i.e., Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark, False Claims Act, HIPAA,
• Strong analytical skills and ability to develop solutions and
recommendations quickly and accurately.
• Excellent communication skills to include oral and written comprehension
as well as expression.
• Ability to prioritize projects, stay on task, and manage a fast-paced work
environment related to varying legal demands across numerous subject
• Pragmatic business-focused attorney who understands business goals
and can effectively manage legal risks.
• Excellent communicator with the ability to work independently and to
work collaboratively as part of a team.
• Ability to demonstrate skillful insight into critical business problems and
emerging legal issues.
• Experience in medical staff relations and/or clinical research is a plus.
• Ability and willingness to assist with other subject matter areas, as
needed, including litigation management, labor employment issues, IP
Must be licensed to practice law in at least one state. If licensed in a state other than Virginia, must obtain Virginia Corporate Counsel license.
Required: Communication, Complex Problem Solving, Critical Thinking, Negotiation, Persuasion, Speaking, Writing
Preferred: None, unless noted in the “Other” section below
License to practice law in Virginia required