Scientist II- Toxin Vaccine Research
The contractor shall serve as a PI for various research efforts for the Toxin program as well as assist senior leadership with the preparation of solicitation documents, research proposals, technical reports and annual reports. The position requires extensive knowledge of MCM development against botulinum and ricin toxins as well as familiarity with USAMRIID budget, funding, and reporting systems. The contractor will provide laboratory support in CDC registered spaces and thus must hold and maintain BPRP status, IAW the provisions in this contract and applicable regulations. Responsibilities include:
- As a Principal Investigator, seek funding from DTRA and other funding agencies on behalf of the Government and USAMRIID to further the research portfolio of the Division and advance MCM development against toxin threat agents. Establish and coordinate extramural collaborations and contracts to augment the research program he or she directs. Amount of funding per year will vary depending on current mission requirements and USAMRIID's available funding.
- Coordinate and collaborate with scientists within the Division and the Institute on in vivo and in vitro studies to evaluate medical countermeasures against toxin threat agents. In vivo studies with rodents/small animals may equal 15 per year. Assist in drafting and writing animal protocols to support research efforts.
- Assist with maintaining the Clostridium collection. Characterize new Clostridium botulinum strains as to morphological, biophysical, and genetic characterizations. He/She will produce cell, spore, crude toxin supernatant, and extracted DNA stocks from C. botulinum cultures. Organize and maintain stocks for efficient inventory, archiving, and retrieval. Collect and organize data on C. botulinum strains.
- As a Principal Investigator, they should prepare technical reports and manuscripts for publication each year. He/She should present work at 1-2 Scientific Meetings each year, which may require CONCUS and OCONUS travel.
- Provides 1 Toxin Vaccine PI Report monthly.
Bachelors Degree in a scientific discipline. M.S. and/or PhD is highly preferred.
2-5 years of related experience in scientific research, analysis and/or engineering.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.