Senior Librarian - Research Center
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) provides information technology and service solutions to staff, study volunteers, and Academy members allowing the National Academies to deliver the most efficient and the highest-quality products to external customers.
Knowledge Services Group: Research Center. Our mission is to enable the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine to efficiently deliver quality products, by providing cost-effective services in research and analysis, program development, peer reviewed resources and staff training. We are committed to facilitating knowledge sharing through the use of information integration technologies that leverage the creation, discovery and sharing of institutional data, and fostering an environment of collaboration and partnerships with staff.
The Senior Librarian performs a variety of duties associated with a library operation. Contributes to library strategic planning projects. Provides assistance in meeting the informational, educational, and research-related needs of staff. Assists staff in answering requests for information and research references. Promotes library services and resources.
Facilitates the automated processing and delivery of document delivery/interlibrary loan borrowing and lending operations.
Performs tasks to support library collections management, maintenance, cataloging and indexing of reports. The position will routinely create original cataloging of print/digital materials in a variety of formats in a mixed RDNAACR2 environment using the MARC standard and is expected to work with other metadata standards and schemas (e.g. BIBFRAME, EAD, VRA Core, Dublin Core). The position performs subject analysis and classification using LCSH and is expected to work with other thesauri and organizational systems when the need arises. The incumbent is responsible for initiating and managing authority control, metadata quality control, and bibliographic database problem resolution to ensure metadata and authority records meet local and professional standards.
Will serve as metadata consultant and resource for institutional data and knowledge management projects. The position is responsible for establishing best practices, standards, and metadata creation procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Uses Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) to locate libraries that carry particular books, journals, and newspapers. Responds to all document delivery/interlibrary loan requests submitted via OCLC automation system and commercial document delivery systems or by phone. Utilizes OCLC system and document delivery management system to record check in and check out books and receipt of journal article requests for staff.
2. Ensures reliable access to subscribed electronic information resources.
3. Applies metadata for a wide range of formats, including serials, non-print materials, and e-resources, using current and emerging metadata schemas, principles and practices such as Dublin Core, RDA, AACR2.
4. Employs emerging metadata schemas to make library resources available in global search systems and search engines.
5. Assures the quality of metadata records in the OCLC WorldShare Local Management System.
6. Prepares purchase requisitions for books, article, and journal subscriptions and processes new orders and renewals. Processes invoices and invoice vouchers. Resolves and coordinates payment issues with Accounts Payable.
7. Provides physical maintenance for the library, including filing and shelving materials, weeding and transferring materials to storage, and shifting, expanding, and combining both the collection and departmental files as necessary.
8. Maintains statistics and produces monthly reports.
9. Determines current and future library automation requirements, recommends solutions and changes.
10. Participates in Research Center data curation Impact program.
11. Plans and provides library technology training for library staff on library automation services and products.
12. Participates in Intranet and Internet web development projects and develops web-based content for library Intranet and other Intranet projects as required.
13. Provides expert metadata consulting services for special projects and serves as a resource for content development, authority file creation and control and problem solving.
14. Engages in regular professional development through research, publications, presentations and participation in regional and national associations as part of the continuing commitment to bring best practices and innovative services to the Research Center.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Expertise using the Microsoft Office Suite. integrated library systems software (e.g. WorldShare Management System, WorldCat. and llliad), and other cataloging tools (e.g. OCLC Connexion, Cataloge1 Desktop. and the RDA Toolkit) required . Experience applying content standards (e.g. AACR2. RDA, and DublinVRA Core) and authorities (e LCSH, LCNAF. and AAD, as well as an understanding of MARC is desirable. Good customer service skills. Ability to solve problems with supervisory consultation or by following procedures. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with coworkers and employees in other National Academies' departments through effective communication.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.